Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by Snoopy1, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    On the back of the stand is tray that fits a 50 lbs weight. You can just see part of it in the picture. Have had quite a few motors on it. The biggest that has been bolted on to it is a DLE 222. The motor on the stand is a 100L I will take a look at my other motor it is also 100L and check the angle of the plugs.

2. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Checked both motors one is brand new and the other a couple of years old and both have the spark plug angled down.

3. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Snuck out to my buddies workshop and put a coat of primer on the cowl. Just have leave it for a couple days and sand it down with some 600 paper, and see what I have.
    Just for general info the local hardware store did a colour match on a colour green. Well all I can say is not even close total failure. This was a colour my buddy needed, we took a piece of green Ultracote to the store and he did a colour match. Way too light. Not looking very promising.
    It’s a pity that @Jetpainter is not around much sure could do with some guidance. For example if the colour green is to light what colour would be use to darken it up a little. Ok I know what everyone is going say add black but over the years I have learnt that is not always the case. Anyone have any suggestions it would be appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    pawnshopmike likes this.
  4. I had good luck with automotive paint, cost a little more but the match is good. I get Omni paint, a little cheaper that PPG but works well. Here's a few examples, al of these are Monokote. IMG_0531.JPG 100_0209.JPG IMG_2500.JPG

WMcNabb, Snoopy1 and pawnshopmike like this.
  5. Make sure the Ultracote was adhered to a piece of scrap wood when you take it in for the color match. Otherwise it will definitely be a lighter shade do to the transparency of the film.

Snoopy1 likes this.
  6. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Ok now I am trying to find an automotive paint store that can mix me up some paint.

7. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    I am going to ask my buddy if it was on a piece of balsa.

pawnshopmike likes this.
  8. I take a wing or a stab to the paint store that they put the camera on. Only color they could not match was the fluorescent green from Hobby King. Can't tell you how different brands I tired. Here is the color scheme I was looking for and a photo of the model wing. Now fast forward 6 years and it still sits!
    deene1.jpg
    IMG_1452.JPG

9. -Rick-

-Rick- 70cc twin V2

Blue or cyan should work.

Snoopy1 likes this.
  10. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Dam the colour he is trying to match looks really close to your plane it is a Pilot plane with bright green colour. Looks like green is a difficult colour. I did know that red is also difficult from my experience.