• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

103" Extra 330SC Building, Flying, and Questions

That's correct, I bought Donky's DLE 111 which used to belong to Bivens.

Next on the list is the remaining servos, power distro, ignition power expander, fuel tank, and flight packs.

The 7955s will be adequate, but not stellar, even on 2S lipo. We have had issues with 7950s and jitter up here. I know they are on the expensive side, but Futaba BLS-157s are the servo to beat. 600+ oz in of torque and Brushless. You can get them around $145 new from tower with some codes.

I am trying out the Fromeco Wolverine switch this week on a 74" Edge I hope. Good power distro solution. If not that then use a Smart Fly Power expander.

Most of the gasser people up here use Tech Aero IBECs. Very simply solution and it is triple isolated from the RX.

Fuel Tank is probably easiest with a Fortitude 32oz tank.

Flight Packs are some 2S lipos you probably have laying around.

Another thing is to use CM6 Spark Plugs. DLE plugs are garbage.

For reference we did testing with the same Mejzlik 29x10S prop on 4 different setups and the DLE did fairly well, but it's spool up was not par with the 120.

DA-120 with RE2 6800 RPM
DA-120 with muffs 6380 RPM
DLE-111 with muffs 6300 RPM
DA-100 with RE2 6000 RPM

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Spent last night setting the pushrod length or each aileron servo. That's done and will be programming the servos next.

Attachments

• geo_sm.jpg
    geo_sm.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 341

Diggity

70cc twin V2
Spent last night setting the pushrod length or each aileron servo. That's done and will be programming the servos next.

make sure the pushrod lengths are identical in length. Are you using your transmitter to program the servos or a servo programmer? The reason I asks is because I use the Hitec servo programmer and I have become very formiliar with it. If you have one and need some help let me know. No disrespect if your a pro at this already. I just know how a pain in the aarrrss is was for me when first starting to program servos.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Yes, using the Hitec programmer. What stinks is how it programs center for 1500us and the Futaba 8FG centers at 1520.

make sure the pushrod lengths are identical in length. Are you using your transmitter to program the servos or a servo programmer? The reason I asks is because I use the Hitec servo programmer and I have become very formiliar with it. If you have one and need some help let me know. No disrespect if your a pro at this already. I just know how a pain in the aarrrss is was for me when first starting to program servos.

Diggity

70cc twin V2
I use JR/Spektrum, so I didn't run into that issue. I did program each servo with the programmer powered to the reciever. YOu might try it this way, so center isn't off by 20 each time

Santi8

70cc twin V2

Hahah! I love how you apologize for offering to help! Such a knee jerk reaction from too much RCG, you offer to help over there and people think you are talking down to them!

Diggity=gentleman!

SteveT.

100cc
Hahah! I love how you apologize for offering to help! Such a knee jerk reaction from too much RCG, you offer to help over there and people think you are talking down to them!

Diggity=gentleman!

Boy do I know that one!!!

SteveT

Diggity

70cc twin V2

Diggity=gentleman!

Didn't want to come off as a know it all. But should have know 3DF is alot different than RCG.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
It's all good! That's why I started this thread so I welcome all input.

This is my first time using ganged servos and my 2nd time using the programmer. It's also my first time with an 8FG so now I have to compensate for the difference in centers. Example:
If you set the center with the hitec programmer...plug the servo into a Futaba radio....the servo will not be centered and abour 3-4 degress off. (The Hitec programmer sets center at 1500us and Futaba radios use 1520 as a center)

So, for EACH servo...you have to re-program with a estimate, and then plug back into your rx...until you get it right. (If I was going to use my Aurora 9, it would be easy peasy) I just wish you could use the hitec programmer to get the PWMs from your radio....and then program the programmer to use those exact center and endpoint values...example: you should be able to set the programmer to use 1520us as the center point.

Diggity, to answer your question, I'll be programming the servos only and will not be using any matching units or subtrim on the radio and I'll be using 2 aileron channels total, with each servo Y'd to it's partner.

I'll keep this updated as I mess with it.

Any reason for switching to the 8FG? I went back to Spektrum for the latency and powersafe RXs and how much I love the feel of the DX18.