• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

110" TIMBER Assembly Thread

Which Gas Engine will you use!?!?

• Total voters

Ze-Baloo

30cc
Hi Everibody ;-)

I bought a first hand Timber 110 to have an everiday bushplane and a tow plane as my club mates like glider towing.

For my hear comfort i'm installing a canister under the fuse for my DLE55.

As my engine cowl has been wide opened by the first owner for the pitts muffler, i'd like to find a new cowl to give my timber a better apperance.

Google looked everywher for me but without any success.

If someone has a hint, it'll be nice ;-)

Thanks.

Laurent

PS : I'll send you some more photos later ;-)

Ze-Baloo

30cc
I wanted to share with you guys my success today modifying the Xcub gear. I absolutely hated these gear when I first got them! They are WAY to stiff and unforgiving when left stock. So after chopping and drilling the lower tubes yesterday to make the gear sit up a little taller, I tried the bungee cord mod today. I couldn't find the 3mm bungees, so I opted to use some 5mm bungees from Ace. I ended up using 4mm X 30MM bolts. I tried numerous configurations to see which one would give me the best absorption and rebound while also keeping firm enough to hold the plane up under it's weight. First I tried bungees mixed with the original metal spring (that was still too stiff). I did one arm at a time and NUMEROUS taxi tests. I finally landed (pardon the pun) on using bungees on only one side of the strut, wrapped twice. In this configuration it still allows for the gear to stay completely extended while parked or taxiing, but flex VERY easily under normal load and rough terrain. Now it is MUCH more like full scale gear, absorbing all the bumps and nasty stuff, while not causing the plane to bounce around or back in to the air on a fast and hard landing. I probably tore the gear apart 6 times today while doing this mod, but it was TOTALLY worth it. Now I absolutely LOVE these gear and they are exactly how I wanted them to be from the start. I was even able to use the original shock boots to cover the bungees to keep with the scale look. Check out the build pics and let me know what you guys think. I am waiting for the wind to die down, so that I can go officially put her in the air and do some crazy STOL drop in landings!
View attachment 115063 View attachment 115064 View attachment 115065 View attachment 115066 View attachment 115067 View attachment 115068
Hi, do you remember hom long you have chopped down the lower tubes?

I'll do the same upgrade on mine for ground clearance as i will have a canister under the fuse .

Thanks for your reply.

Laurent

Ze-Baloo

30cc
My Timber at my local field for it's first appearance.

Attachments

• IMG_20220930_143133.jpg
    IMG_20220930_143133.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 111

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Hi, do you remember hom long you have chopped down the lower tubes?

I'll do the same upgrade on mine for ground clearance as i will have a canister under the fuse .

Thanks for your reply.

Laurent
Welcome to GSN Laurent!!

Think it's about 6-8mm. Basically, just enough for another hole with the same edge clearance.

Having a quite motor will be nice, my DLE55RA is pretty noisy.

There are no cowls available anymore. I contacted Horizon about a month ago asking for any molds or CAD files to re-create some cowls and the answer was basically the sourced factory vacated and everything was lost. To me that doesn't make a lot of sense, but it is what it is. I've contemplated making some cowlings for fun, but it's a lot of time and expenses to make a batch with the possibility of ruining my cowl in the process...

Ze-Baloo

30cc
Thanks for the reply ;-)

I will have to find another solution to modifiy the landing gear for the canister.
The entry tube of the canister is just in front of the fixed part holding the tubes with the springs.
IMG_20221118_170435_resized_20221121_012407836.jpg

I need to make it as quiet as possible, because all our RC fields in France are facing neighbours complaints regulary.
And for my hears :p

Regarding the cowl, i wasn't having much hope about horizon hobby...
I had a Sundowner formula 1 that I sold (even if i should have keeped it...) to a friend to buy the Timber, the aluminium landing gear was folded due to a rough landing.
I asked them for the drawing of the gear or another gear from another plane still in stock than can be used.
They were of no use telling that they hadn't any drawing and can't check if an existing gear could be used in place...

Here are some pics of The timber and my fleet (missing the foamies and my Topflite P47 GS)
IMG_20221111_153612_resized_20221121_012145925.jpg
IMG_20221111_153557_resized_20221121_012145134.jpg
IMG_20220930_143133_resized_20221121_012145574.jpg
IMG_20221008_144929_resized_20221121_012146279.jpg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the reply ;-)

I will have to find another solution to modifiy the landing gear for the canister.
The entry tube of the canister is just in front of the fixed part holding the tubes with the springs.
View attachment 120245
I need to make it as quiet as possible, because all our RC fields in France are facing neighbours complaints regulary.
And for my hears :p

Regarding the cowl, i wasn't having much hope about horizon hobby...
I had a Sundowner formula 1 that I sold (even if i should have keeped it...) to a friend to buy the Timber, the aluminium landing gear was folded due to a rough landing.
I asked them for the drawing of the gear or another gear from another plane still in stock than can be used.
They were of no use telling that they hadn't any drawing and can't check if an existing gear could be used in place...

Here are some pics of The timber and my fleet (missing the foamies and my Topflite P47 GS)

My pleasure!

The gear is probably the 60cc H9 X-CUB gear, which is also on my timber. The gear comes in red and covered, I stripped them down and painted them "carbon mist" enamel. Yours appear to have been repainted in yellow?
Can you get a flexible header to the cannister? There is someone here that did that... I cant find the picture readily