• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

12S power systems ideas and options

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Do you know how many watts your setup is putting out?

What prop are you using on the A60-18L? I almost bought one to try a 14S 4000mAh setup because it should do 3550W with the 22x10 Xoar at only 68.5A. I can probably save more weight going to an Ice2 HV80 and my 22x10 Xoar only weighs 79g. The problem is that my A60-16M Kv was way off from what the labeled 215 was saying that the 22x10 on 10S was just too much for it to handle. Had a lot of timing issues. The L series should easily handle it tho. If you can tell me the cell count, prop, and RPMs, I can probably tell if it's worthwhile to try it.

I'm using a 24x12 Xoar PJN, static current is 76 amps, 3400 watts. That's with 30c packs, planning on upgrading to 55c packs soon here, Thunder Powers. Save some weight, get more energy out of the packs. I'm expecting to be around 80 amps and 3700 watts static with those. The system can handle it no problem, I need to make a couple more baffles for my motor, I only have one ontop and it has reduced motor temps, but a couple more should bring it down even more. Right now after some 3D huckin' in the warm 85* weather we've had lately I'm seeing motor temps about 130*F after landing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried a slotted cooling spinner like the tru turn or Gator-RC/Taildragger? They top out at 3.5 and 3.25", but work very well at getting air into the front of the motor. I have been messing with the new Revo 435 blend packs. They are overcharger smaller packs so the weight is down a lot. Great for our application in airplanes.

Today, Eury and I played with the packs in helis and the 3700s worked well in a Goblin 700 comp. I was not as impressed with the 5100s in my 550X reading the telemetry data.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have not yet, I am wanting to try one of the flow through ones from TDRC. My list of parts for this airplane seems to keep growing :banghead::cool:

MikePS

New to GSN!
At the invitation of Enterprise, I'm dropping in to share my set up for my new Redwing 50cc Slick. Have purchased a Dualsky GA6000.8 Outrunner Motor 180Kv from James at JB Hobbies https://www.jb-hobbies.com/presta/b...alsky-ga60008-outrunner-motor-180kv-60cc.html From what I can tell out of the box, it's a very nice set up. Comes with 4 x 53mm standoffs (too short for me, I have some being made custom). I'll be paring it with a Jeti / Hacker Master SPIN 125 Pro 4-12S OPTO I picked up for a song on another forums classified section (which shall go unnamed). http://www.turbines-rc.com/en/hv-controlers/716-jeti-hacker-masterspin-125-pro-4-12s-opto.html Will be running a 12S, either 30C 5000mAh Aero Model's or 30C 4500mAh Glaciers. If I can get 5+ min out of the 4500's I'll go that way to save a few oz's. Right now my AUW is pushing 17.5lbs, trying to save every oz I can. Will likely run a CC BEC Pro off of one of the 6s's, in order to maximize available Amps and keep the weight do. According to ecalc, I'll get 5500 mech Power watts / 6000 Elec Power watts turning a Xoar 25x12, maxing out at 158 amps (the Jeti 125 is good up to 162). Once I get it all up and running, I'll take some actual measurements and share them here.

Use Aero's PAR calc as that is a lot better than ecalc. It is in his signature.

Run the BEC on the "low" side of the harness if it is a 6s BEC. That means the side with the ground going to ESC. Also consider getting a ultraguard or a Scorpion BUG for a redundancy for your RX power.

MikePS

New to GSN!
Use Aero's PAR calc as that is a lot better than ecalc. It is in his signature.

Run the BEC on the "low" side of the harness if it is a 6s BEC. That means the side with the ground going to ESC. Also consider getting a ultraguard or a Scorpion BUG for a redundancy for your RX power.
Thanks Enterprise. The BEC will be on the low side, and I use the Scorpion BUG in all my 7x and up planes...It already saved my 3dhs 71 slick...I took off w/o strapping my lipos down...although they slid to the back of the airframe when they unplugged and through off the CG considerably, the BUG got me back on the ground in one piece!!

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
Please, Enterprise and/or MikePS, would you explain, "running one 6s off from a bec pro". I'm trying to understand/envision how the wiring looks. Sorry for my noobness.
I have a 50cc Redwing Extra that is still NIB. I'm slowly getting accessories together, and trying to learn the ins and outs of a 12s setup. My biggest plane (that I've actually flown) is a 65" Vyper. It has a CC BEC Pro installed, and a CC ESC. Thanks in advance for your time...

You make a harness for the battery lead wires to the ESC. You have two plugs to make a series harness. The red wire from the ESC is the "high" side as this is where the 50V is on the red wire. You install a wire out of the black on this connector to the red on the "low" side. Then the black on the low side is connected to the black wire on the ESC. You run a red and black wire off the "low" connector. The voltage coming off this will be 25V and not the full 50V. You can then connect this to the BEC. The high connector will read 25V on a meter, but if the BEC finds a ground to the other pack it will then see the 50V.

Here I tried to run dual BEC pros. They will take the 50V so I could get away with it on the high side as well. The main switch I was using turned out to isolate the ground and not the positive which meant it could not work as it would find a ground via the BECs and I had to abounded this harness and use separate batteries.

Next plane I will use a emcotec switch instead and see how that works to isolate power.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428161693.038625.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With Anderson Power Poles I would crimp the BEC wires into the low connector. These are 8 guage wire and I was not going to fit anything extra in with the bullets.