• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

2-stroke oil,what works,what doesn't

SlowpokeMoses

New to GSN!
I've got 5 motors all running Stihl HP Ultra. Never had a problem with any. However I think i will be switching to Redline this year as the only Stihl dealer around is a John Deere dealership. Oil there is pretty pricey, so ill save some bucks and get some Redline at the local cycle shop.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Okay........is this clean or would this be considered heavy deposits on the crown of the piston and top of the cylinder? This is right at 25 gallons Stihl Ultra HP and 89 pump gas mixed 38:1.

111 Lcylinder deposit 1.jpg
111 piston 1.JPG

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I've got 5 motors all running Stihl HP Ultra. Never had a problem with any. However I think i will be switching to Redline this year as the only Stihl dealer around is a John Deere dealership. Oil there is pretty pricey, so ill save some bucks and get some Redline at the local cycle shop.

That's my plan for the 2015 season....switch to Redline oil. The Ultra HP has been a good oil tho

sailr

50cc
I use AMSOIL at 32:1 and all of my engines output extremely black oily mess! Is it the oil is not getting burned sufficiently or too much oil in the mix or......?

I use Amsoil 100:1 oil mixed at 50:1.

Anyone use castor oil? I used to run it in bikes and my ski, but haven't in quite a while. Race gas and castor oil always had a sweet smell to it. I was going to pick up Maxima 927 castor oil last time I drove past the motorcycle dealership, but they were out. I'd think I would want to richen my mix up a bit, probably more in the 32:1 range, compared to a full synthetic.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I use Amsoil 100:1 oil mixed at 50:1.

Anyone use castor oil? I used to run it in bikes and my ski, but haven't in quite a while. Race gas and castor oil always had a sweet smell to it. I was going to pick up Maxima 927 castor oil last time I drove past the motorcycle dealership, but they were out. I'd think I would want to richen my mix up a bit, probably more in the 32:1 range, compared to a full synthetic.

I tried Klotz supertechniplate(sweet smell) for a while in one airplane engine....got a ton of carbon build up in it, it's more for liquid cooled engines tho

njswede

150cc
Very simple: If Stihl Ultra HP is good enough for landscapers who run their wackers and blowers 8 hours a day non stop, it's good for my planes that maybe get a few hours of runtime every year. I'm a noob, so I have soooo many other things to worry about. 40:1 is what I use. Now rip this noob to pieces, please! I need some entertainment while I'm drinking tonight!

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
Very simple: If Stihl Ultra HP is good enough for landscapers who run their wackers and blowers 8 hours a day non stop, it's good for my planes that maybe get a few hours of runtime every year. I'm a noob, so I have soooo many other things to worry about. 40:1 is what I use. Now rip this noob to pieces, please! I need some entertainment while I'm drinking tonight!

Nothing wrong with Ultra HP, I was just gonna switch to Redline for chits and giggles!!

That makes two of us:cheers: