• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

BalsaDust

Yes I think 10 pounds would be possible but I think up to around 12 pounds would still fly amazing on a 35cc. Your welcome to scale up the 20cc plans if you would like. I could redraw it but will be a while before I will have the time to do it. If you do scale it up I would scale it up to around 74" span and shoot for somewhere around 1200 sq in of wing area. My rough math says if you scaled them up by 120% would yield just over 74" span. Now the wing area I dont think will scale proportionally but if it did that would put the wing area at 1140 sq in. Probably would be just fine at that but if you wanted to get closer to 1200 then scale just the ribs up another 5-10% I think and it should get you there.

If you would like I could scale the plans up tomorrow at work but you would have to adjust stick sizes as you build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes I think 10 pounds would be possible but I think up to around 12 pounds would still fly amazing on a 35cc. Your welcome to scale up the 20cc plans if you would like. I could redraw it but will be a while before I will have the time to do it. If you do scale it up I would scale it up to around 74" span and shoot for somewhere around 1200 sq in of wing area. My rough math says if you scaled them up by 120% would yield just over 74" span. Now the wing area I dont think will scale proportionally but if it did that would put the wing area at 1140 sq in. Probably would be just fine at that but if you wanted to get closer to 1200 then scale just the ribs up another 5-10% I think and it should get you there.

If you would like I could scale the plans up tomorrow at work but you would have to adjust stick sizes as you build.
That would be great and I agree that the wing should be sized a little different because that is square inches. Don’t worry about the thickness or anything like that I will pick the size what feels good at the time of building.

BalsaDust

Ok I will scale them in the morning and will also at least try to figure out the exact amount the ribs will need to be scaled as well and do that for you. Do you want it as a DWG or just a PDF.

BalsaDust

Plans should be in your email. I ended up scaling to 72" span as the wing area drastically increases as its scaled. when I went to 74" span the area was up to 1400 sq in. At 72" span its at 1266 sq in which should be fine but I would recommend trimming 1/2"-3/4" off the TE of the ailerons as I feel they got a little too big. Doing that will bring it back down closer to 1200 sq in of area. Root rib ended up at about 2-3/8" thick which might be a touch too thick and slow it down some but I think it would still fly awesome.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Plans should be in your email. I ended up scaling to 72" span as the wing area drastically increases as its scaled. when I went to 74" span the area was up to 1400 sq in. At 72" span its at 1266 sq in which should be fine but I would recommend trimming 1/2"-3/4" off the TE of the ailerons as I feel they got a little too big. Doing that will bring it back down closer to 1200 sq in of area. Root rib ended up at about 2-3/8" thick which might be a touch too thick and slow it down some but I think it would still fly awesome.
Thank you sir that was very kind of you to take the time to do that for me will take a look as soon as I can.

BalsaDust

No problem. If you do build it please start a thread and let me know what things you do throughout the build. I could update a set of plans to reflect it for everyone

One thing I thought of if your willing to go that route but I think once you get to 30cc size it’s worth it to do a foam core fuse sheeted with balsa. Still put a tube in it for strength but once you get to that size twisting forces get pretty large.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
No problem. If you do build it please start a thread and let me know what things you do throughout the build. I could update a set of plans to reflect it for everyone

One thing I thought of if your willing to go that route but I think once you get to 30cc size it’s worth it to do a foam core fuse sheeted with balsa. Still put a tube in it for strength but once you get to that size twisting forces get pretty large.
Absolutely I agree I have sufficient hot wire stuff to cut a fuse and if I don’t will make it or buy. Ok this going to be fun. One thing I am a winter builder but because of the covid19 it could be sooner. Generally I collect all the stuff during the summer so that I am ready for the long winter build.
Ok what are your thoughts and have you made any sketch and or anything. How thick do you think it should be.

BalsaDust

Absolutely I agree I have sufficient hot wire stuff to cut a fuse and if I don’t will make it or buy. Ok this going to be fun. One thing I am a winter builder but because of the covid19 it could be sooner. Generally I collect all the stuff during the summer so that I am ready for the long winter build.
Ok what are your thoughts and have you made any sketch and or anything. How thick do you think it should be.

My 55cc version was a foam fuse. I started with a sheet of the white beaded foam insulation from Lowes that has the silver plastic on one side. I peeled all of that off and then just traced my fuse on it and just it with a knife. My notes that I feel helped make it a strong fuse with pics from my build. and sorry they are not in any real order.

Servo rails for the tail surfaces. Make them long. These I think where 5" long. rails only need to be on the side of the fuse the servo will be screwed too but use some balsa sheeting to go all the way to the other side. Makes a nice surface to fold covering in on.
IMG_6144.JPG

3/4" carbon fiber tube run the length of the fuse. To help support it I cut some 1/4" tri stock so it basically hugged the tube and gave more glue surface on it.
IMG_6157.JPG

Sheet the entire fuse in 1/16" balsa but then make a plate like this for both sides out of 1/8" birch ply. This ties the motor mount, landing gear area, and wing mount all together. Cut plenty of lightening holes in it to help with weight. Also a note on the landing gear. I dont have a picture of it but after I sheeted the fuse but before gluing these ply plates on I marked out where the the gear legs and mount bolts would be. Then I drilled two 1" holes through the foam and the sheeting and glued in a 1" oak dowel in each hole. You want them to be flush with the balsa sheeting so when you tighten the gear bolts down it presses the ply into the dowels and really holds. Both mount holes where drilled in the center of the dowels.
IMG_6228.JPG

Make the vertical fin a separate piece. It does not need to be 3/4" thick. Use long dowels the pin it to the fuse after covering. Glue in tristock on both sides to make it stronger.
IMG_6431.JPG

This was just my personal preference but I felt it would be stronger if capped all the edges of the foam first with 1/8" balsa before sheeting the fuse. You can do it after sheeting but I felt it was stronger this way.
IMG_6171.JPG

Another picture of the edge pieces before the sheeting. Also don't worry with the carbon wrap like I did. I had a bunch of it and thought it would help but in the end I dont really think it did.
IMG_6182.JPG