• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 20cc Edge 540 Profile “The Glitter”

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks good so you have done it once, would you do it again or build it like the 20cc version. I like the foam idea it will make it very stiff. How did the weight come out. Like the pictures very helpful. Nice idea on the landing gear.

BalsaDust

My personal preference is any profile I built that is over 20cc will get a sheeted foam fuse. A buddy of mine has the WWRC 55cc extra that is a built up fuse. Even with him beefing up the fuse in key spots the tail still chases the wing in rolling maneuvers. I do think the foam fuse builds out slightly heavier but not enough to worry about it. Could always strategically core out the fuse and save some weight. Could even make the balsa sheeting match it but I really don’t think it’s worth it unless you want Uber light.

Also I’m sorry I misspoke about the weight before on the 55 cc version. My goal when I built it was to come in at 15 pounds and I ended up at 13.4 pounds. I was afraid I ended up too light and that it wouldn’t carry energy well but the low amount of wing area still allowed it to carry the energy.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
My AutoCAD is not working properly have to see if it can be fixed or I will be in trouble. Hope to get it fixed and operating so that I can open up the drawings and have a good look and see what needs to be done. Looking forward to this build. . Bought some old balsa lumber about 55 inches long and approximately 3 by 3. Going try and cut sheeting from the lumber never done before..

BalsaDust

My AutoCAD is not working properly have to see if it can be fixed or I will be in trouble. Hope to get it fixed and operating so that I can open up the drawings and have a good look and see what needs to be done. Looking forward to this build. . Bought some old balsa lumber about 55 inches long and approximately 3 by 3. Going try and cut sheeting from the lumber never done before..

I’ve never tried cutting sheet goods as the bandsaw I have isn’t good enough. I do cut all my own sticks and tristock though.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I’ve never tried cutting sheet goods as the bandsaw I have isn’t good enough. I do cut all my own sticks and tristock though.
It is not easy, I did cut sheeting once before but it was at my friends work shop and let’s just say I never seen a better work shop and he set it all up and then I just did the cutting. This is going to be all new for me. Will see how it works out. Going to try to cut 2mm sheeting. Did some tests on small piece and found out that the needs to be 3mm thick to end up with 2mm sanded sheets.

BalsaDust

@BalsaDust ok found out why I was having difficulty can you please save it in AutoCAD 15 or less I can not open the version you sent me. Thanks

Try now. I thought any autoCAD should open it but I think I saw another problem. Got a new laptop at work and no longer running my student version of AutoCAD instead I'm running the AutoCAD Mechanical 2020 version that is part of our package at work. Hopefully it works now.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Some good info on re-sawing wood with a bandsaw.

Thanks for the info. Need all the help I can get. The only thing I did not realize is that I need to plane the wood every time I make a cut not sure it is necessary. Hoping I can just make one cut after another and then finish sand the sheet on both sides. Not sure which is the most efficient or which method gives me more sheets from a log.