• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 25% Krier Kraft build, a tribute to grampa.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Something happened the other day that's pretty awesome, Frank Tiano has been keeping tabs on the Krier build though Facebook and over the weekend he noticed in one of my pictures that my bottle of thin Zap was going bad (I literally can't remember how old that bottle of thin is!! lol) and he offered to send me a "care package" of some more Zap.

Guys that know me know I love me some Zap, so OF COURSE I accepted. I got his care package in the mail today and can't thank him enough, building 2 airplanes (the Krier and an Extra for a friend) I'm going though CA like a fish lol.

Sorry for acting a little bit like a salesman I'm just really stoked and can't thank FT enough, I still don't know if he realizes how much I appreciate his generosity. My Zap obsession is pretty apparent, and now my stash has been replenished :)

Thanks Frank!!!!! :)

98.jpg

99.jpg

BalsaDust

That's pretty sweet. I have used zap before and like it but I have been leaning more towards the Bob smith stuff recently. Might have to get me a bottle of zap and do s side by side comparison of the two brands.

JAG

70cc twin V2
That's pretty sweet. I have used zap before and like it but I have been leaning more towards the Bob smith stuff recently. Might have to get me a bottle of zap and do s side by side comparison of the two brands.

I have both and prefer the Zap. Mostly just for the cap closure method. Can't really tell a difference in the glue itself.

BalsaDust

I would agree the cap on the BSI stuff sucks. When it comes to caps though I really like the bottles the gorrila glue medium ca comes in.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Mercury adhesives has metal pins built into screw on caps that are awesome and keep the glue tip open...best caps I've seen for CA.
The only sucky thing about the Mercury bottle is the end is too big to get in pin point places. It has awesome shelf life though.

I like Zap for it's wide range of products, but my all time favorite CA was Satellite City Hot Stuff. Yes I'm old. It's been gone for years, but my flying buddy and I still glue things by "Hot Stuffing" them.;)

Bipeguy03

150cc
The only sucky thing about the Mercury bottle is the end is too big to get in pin point places. It has awesome shelf life though.

I like Zap for it's wide range of products, but my all time favorite CA was Satellite City Hot Stuff. Yes I'm old. It's been gone for years, but my flying buddy and I still glue things by "Hot Stuffing" them.;)

lol fun fact, Hot Stuff was the glue that Grampa used, probably built most of his Krier with it!

Bipeguy03

150cc
Okay, so getting back to the build ;)

Over the weekend between flying and football games I managed to get the horizontal built. First thing I learned was that while my foam form for the tip bows seemed like a way to get the laminates done without a piece of plywood, it was more headache than it was worth. I did manage to get them done, but I but a form out of ply for the wingtip bows.

100.jpg

With the foam tip form allowing the bows to not bow correctly (pun intended) getting them to work took some patience but I managed to get them done without mutilating them too bad.

101.jpg

Got it all framed up, just need to add the hinge reinforcements then do all the beveling and rounding.

102.jpg

Just doing a little daydreaming again :) the wood for the rest of the stringers should be here Thursday then it will really start to look like the Krier.

103.jpg

Comparing the angles of mine to the picture I have of Grampa's. I think it looks pretty close!

104.jpg