• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport 30% Edge 540 Pete Marshall Plans with Laser Cut Short Kit

Hi There,
I got your short kit cut last night and I will get it all boxed up tonight when I get home.

Chris, you are right, Pete was a great guy and I am glad that I had the chance to learn so much from him. Who knows where he is now, lol.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Pete helped me quite a bit with my first scratch build as well, very cool guy......and interesting to say the least. He played a huge roll in my enthusiasm to start building planes. He would love GSN, I think troll-kingdom got to his nerves.

Looking forward to seeing this Edge go together, I think I still have a set of the plans around somewhere.

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Sleepy, the plans say this plane should be between 15.5-17.5 lbs. Thanks for the reassurance that the 50 will be plenty for my needs:)

As for Pete, I pretty much copied in a document for later anything I could find that he used for building techniques as I want this to go together very strong and true.

Rob, holy cows. I didn't need it that quick!!! I still have to finish my TF P-47 build and get the table going:) Motivation is a great thing anyway. I just need to get my health issues under control...

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Chris, maybe today I will go through the plans to see how much I will need. I hope to go through the LHS since they have been very good and give a military discount. I am expecting about $150 ish.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Bluepilot2003,
I'm glad you found a good 50cc kit to build. I'll be watching your build too.
BTW, thank you for your service to our country...............:yesss:

David

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
Thanks, David. Hopefully I can get back to work here shortly after some back problems and complications... With the down time, I have been thinking about setup and batteries.

My plan is to run HV servos on a 8 channel Futaba receiver with a 2s Lipo and heavy duty switch. I would also run a regulator on a 2nd Lipo for the ignition. Anyone see a problem with that? I know redundant Lion batteries seems to be the normal, so I am curious.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Personally, I prefer to use LiFe batteries for the receivers and ignitions in my planes. I'm not comfortable with LiPo batteries in my gas planes. It's too much of a hassle to remove them every time you want to charge them and I refuse to charge a LiPo battery while it's in ANY plane. If you decide to go the LiPo or LiFe route, make sure you buy a switch that totally isolates the battery when you turn the plane off. I've heard stories of people ruining their batteries because the trickle drain through the switch would drop the voltage too low before the problem was discovered.

As far as servo's go, I don't have any HV servos so I cannot comment on them first hand. IMHO, I cannot see any real advantage in them over a good digital servo running on 6.6 volts. The difference in speed of the HV servo over a regular digital servo is probably impossible for most people to differentiate.

I'd also like to share some advice I've received from a good friend of mine who has been flying planes since the 70's. I'm sure you've probably heard it before as well. It's called the KISS principle. A 50cc plane does not need all of the accessories that you'd put in a 40% plane. With that being said, I would recommend investing in an optical kill switch for the ignition. One more thing and I'll get off my soap box. Don't go too cheap on your throttle servo. The Owner's manual that comes with 3W motors makes a valid point regarding this. You want a good servo on the throttle for precise throttle control and quick throttle response. I can imagine where this would be a requirement if you want to fly 3D with the plane, because allot of the thing you do while flying 3D are very dependent on the throttle. If you want to set up your plane for 3D, you'll have to ask some of the 3D guru's on this site. They're all a great bunch of guys and they will be more than happy to help you out..

OK, my fingers are tired...................:laughing:

BalsaDust

Couple videos I did a while back. First is a Solar D770 on a 2 cell LiFe pack, and the second is the same swervo on a 2 cell lion pack. I think its pretty noticeable just watching it.