• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

30% Pilot Carbon EDGE Build & Discussion

gyro

GSN Contributor
Humm. I would hope constructive input is considered in discussions on planes. Let's face it there is usually something that needs to be said to understand the differences between planes and companies that make and sell them. Perhaps some might not build as easy but fly great or vice versa.

Please be honest in your reviews.

For this review I wonder why there is so much carbon going into this plane. Is it because you want it to look really cool on the ground or does the plane need it for structural reasons?

I think it was his stated goal to make it look clean and finished with no visible naked balsa inside.

AKfreak

150cc
Humm. I would hope constructive input is considered in discussions on planes. Let's face it there is usually something that needs to be said to understand the differences between planes and companies that make and sell them. Perhaps some might not build as easy but fly great or vice versa.

Please be honest in your reviews.

For this review I wonder why there is so much carbon going into this plane. Is it because you want it to look really cool on the ground or does the plane need it for structural reasons?

I think if you have to ask you don't get it :) That plane is a work of art, and I am sure some of it is structural. For example, that motor box has to be super strong the way he did it. To me it seemed he wanted to build a theme plane, and that themes was Carbon Fiber. Also, I cant wait to see Brian , "Yak Dude" put this baby through its paces. I bet she fly's well.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
Yes Bruce, I know Chad sells stuff... I just prefer to recommend those who support our forum, members, events, and help keep the lights on. I go to www.3drcparts.com for my servo harnesses because I like the owner's approach to business.

Either way, I like the way you used them a surface mount on the outside of the fuse, I didn't think of that the last time I used the multi-servo harness. Cool idea! :)

I hate to be the one that brings this up, but it's one thing for a a company or a manufacture to get on here and try to advertise or sell their wares on here without being a sponsor of this site, but when a regular member brings up the name of a company that doesn't advertise on here and you have to bring up another company that does, it is just one reason i believe a lot sponsors and members don't want to join up here. By the way 3drcparts most likely gets their servo extensions and multi servo connectors from Chad at http://www.taildraggerrc.com/ anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKfreak

150cc
I hate to be the one that brings this up, but it's one thing for a a company or a manufacture to get on here and try to advertise or sell their wares on here without being a sponsor of this site, but when a regular member brings up the name of a company that doesn't advertise on here and you have to bring up another company that does, it is just one reason i believe a lot sponsors and members don't want to join up here. By the way 3drcparts most likely gets their servo extensions and multi servo connectors from Chad at http://www.taildraggerrc.com/ anyway.

Well I too try to buy from the forums Sponsor here first. However if they don't sell what I want for the best price, I go where I can get the best price, and still get good customer service.

Since we are on the topic of servo extensions, I got my last set from www.3drcparts.com. Not only did they make up a kit for my new plane, they had the best price, and shipping costs smoked the competition. I blogged about it here, and I did shop Taildraggerrc.com as well. I have heard good stuff about Taildragger, but to me its all about price first, but service is very important too.

I have no stake in the forum, and I say that Gary does try to help promote the sponsors here. If it was my baby, I would do the same. With that said, I know he is/was particular on who they let in the door here. And I for one am thankful. Not everyone can be happy all the time, but imagine yourself in his position. Would you try to protect the people who are under your umbrella? After all his words are just an opinion, we are all big boys here. In the end we as consumers decide for ourselves who we want to do business with.

Lastly, if someone was to disparage another company to try and make themselves look good, I would find that to be in bad taste. That is not to say that I saw that happen here, I am just making an observation.

Also I am all for building a community, however is it in the best interest to create a situation where businesses cannibalize other businesses for the sake of getting as many sponsors as possible in the door. Or, is it more important to select wisely the people you do do business with, then protect their interests. I sincerely ask this question because I do not know.

Lastly I want to apologize for engaging in off topic banter, especially in this most helpful thread. Mods, if you need to move or remove this post to keep stuff on topic, I fully understand.

bruceman

50cc
@GYRO is correct that the sponsors of this site want to see their products used, reviewed and mentioned and whenever appropriate the members of this site should consider this in their posts / threads. Everyone has their views and opinions, this is mine.

As far as the Carbon EDGE build goes, everyone has their own expectations and preferences for building a plane. That's what makes some of the gorgeous planes we see on this site, at events and at our own clubs so unique. There are some pilots that would not build a plane the way I have done the Carbon EDGE, but there has been a huge interest in this plane that all started at the Kennett 3D Bash. Many of you requested that I do a build post and I was happy to do so.
I decided when I began the build that I wanted something different and unique.

I have never seen a plane built quite this way, but I decided to give it a go. I was previously a toolmaker years ago, and now work as an engineer for a large plastics molding company. I figured I could use a little of the gifts GOD has provided me and see what comes out of it. There is nothing that was done to this plane that was because there were shortcomings with the airframe. The Pilot Edge is a well built, beautiful plane right out of the box. Some of the things I did was my attempt to make what was already good a little better. Some of the things I did was to add some POP. I think both objectives were met. This plane was not built to be a light weight 3D monster or a pattern plane. It was built to be fun and to show what can be done with an ARF beyond the usual. [MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION] probably said it best in thread #92, this is a theme plane and carbon fiber is my theme. I hope that some of the things posted in this build you will find useful and inspire you to try different methods and media when building your own beauty. I will continue to post on this build and answer your questions as long as there is interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Tons of interest here and well said fellas! Bottom line we want to see our sponsors be successful and know our members are being treated great and taken care of. It's kind of like Angie's list, we know who to work with and who not to so we do our best to pass that on in a drama free way. Thanks for sharing everyone now let's let Bruce get back to his build... Whoop whoop!!!

SnowDog

well said Bruce...you do have gifts and we enjoy seeing them being put to use...your creativity and vision for something different as well as the craftmanship skills to realize that vision are the gifts that I see you using and I'm enjoying the thread...of course, I also get to see this plane in person on a weekly basis, which is also something that I appreciate! I have also seen many Pilot airframes fly very well without any of these mods, so I know Pilot airframes are built well in a stock configuration. [MENTION=165]Twistedgrim[/MENTION] flew his 50cc Pilot airframe at the Austin 3DBash and flew the SNOT out of it!

:flyer:

Bruceman - thanks for the explanation.

I have Pilot RC on my list of options for my next plane along with Aerobees and Redwing RC and I wanted to make sure I did head down a route that required extensive MODS to make a plane flyable. Your work is definitely inspiring and maybe I will get there some time.

I hope the project finishes great.

bruceman

50cc
Thanks for the support and interest.......I think tonight I'll crack open a cold one and get back to the build post!

bruceman

50cc
O.K., a couple cold one's down, time to build some more. You have seen most of the fuselage mods, now let's move on to control surfaces. The Carbon EDGE is using Hitec HS-7954SH servos on all control surfaces. The carbon fiber control arms are mounted to aluminum servo spools, both the arms and spools were bought from [MENTION=2470]RedwingRC[/MENTION]. I went a different route for the control surface mounting and used adjustable servo horns on all surfaces instead of the stock horns, except the rudder pull pull which we already covered. On the elevators, I used Sullivan spring loaded servo arm linkage mounts on the servo arm attachment end so it is easy to remove the elevator assembly for transportation. What a time saver!!! The controls rods are the stock Pilot rods. They are threaded at both ends (4-40) and have a hex in the center for adjustment. I think this combination of components worked really well for the control surfaces on the Carbon EDGE. Servos have more than enough speed, torque and travel for the 50cc size surfaces, the linkage set up seems to perform really well in terms of response, throw, ease of adjustment and field assembly. I also used the [MENTION=2470]RedwingRC[/MENTION] cam lock wing locking system instead of standard wing bolts. Pilot 50cc and up size planes use two wing bolts per wing, just so you know what to expect. I can literally have this plane ready to fly at the field in less than 15 minutes.

P1016829.JPG P1016832.JPG P1016839.JPG