• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

30% Pilot Edge Repair

pawnshopmike

Staff member
So the final repair on the Edge was to repair/rebuild the right wing aileron and counter balance. My original plan was to simply strip the covering, re-glue the departed counter balance back on to the aileron and strengthen it with stock along the leading and trailing edges. Unfortunately, I mis-placed the silly counter balance and have not located it yet. UGH!!! Soo, next best thing...rebuild the entire aileron oooor..... Hey, I remember my son still had his wings from his previous Edge. He offered up the broken wing and I went to work cutting the needed parts from the old aileron. I was able to salvage enough of the leading and trailing edge stock along with the needed ribs to scratch build the majority of what I need to put the aileron back together.

I first cut out the bad part of my aileron and cleaned up the hinge.

View attachment 17731 View attachment 17732 View attachment 17733

Next, I drew out some counter balance end caps to structure the rest of the counter balance around.

View attachment 17734

After cutting the end caps, I placed a portion of what was left of my sons aileron into place for fit and began rebuilding the counter balance.

View attachment 17735 View attachment 17736 View attachment 17737 View attachment 17738 View attachment 17739 View attachment 17740

After framing up the aileron and counter balance, I test fit it into position.

View attachment 17741 View attachment 17742

Once I was satisfied with the fit, I completed the final buildup of the counter balance and glued it on to the rest of the aileron.

View attachment 17743 View attachment 17744 View attachment 17745 View attachment 17746 View attachment 17747 View attachment 17748

Last task to do was to lay back down the covering and add to the damaged area fresh skin. I am semi-pleased with the repairs as they look pretty good. The only repair I am disappointed in is the Purple covering on top of the aileron. Apparently it is not an exact match for color. Ah, but that is easily remedied. Order a new roll of covering and replace the section that does not match. No big deal for now though. I think I just want to see how she flies first.

View attachment 17749 View attachment 17750

For now, this completes the repair of my Pilot Edge. Maybe next time I am hovering this plane, I will stay a couple of inches higher. LOL.....
Very nice Stang! You did an awesome job bro. Looks great.