• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Sick ! Plan on scaling out the 3.1m compy when done with the new one, dying to see the exhaust, may have posted earlier but 2 into 1 bottom drop im guessing, 2-3" outlet ?
Really digging your work!

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Oops, read back a page or two and saw tuned pipes, was hoping someone would lead the way on a scale exhaust system, have some rough assemblies of one. figure damn the sound scores and fly whats cool.
Carry on with the awesomeness and forgive my rambling.. too much caffiene today.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Oops, read back a page or two and saw tuned pipes, was hoping someone would lead the way on a scale exhaust system, have some rough assemblies of one. figure damn the sound scores and fly whats cool.
Carry on with the awesomeness and forgive my rambling.. too much caffiene today.
Actually I was thinking about doing that way back when. I had first set this up with front dump cans...shown here with the stinger extensions slipped on.
DSC09501.JPG
I later decided to put pipes in. However, once the pipe extensions are cut back they won't be too noticable from many angles, and a fake exhaust header in the scale position has already been completed. It's FG cloth laid up with Gorilla Glue over a paper wrapping tube.
DSC01000.JPG

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I was thinking about a scale exhaust outlet since the new DLE engines have the Teflon stingers (that actually work well and paint easily with high temp paint). I was wondering if I could somehow graft on some flexible headers to stock mufflers and guide the exhaust down and out the stock location. Just pondering.....

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Gotta have a way to check the oil in that big Lycoming :adore:. Yet another opportunity to bugger up that beautiful cowling!!!

After marking the location and size of the door I was initially gonna just cut it out and make it openable....but decided that since it still didn't access anything, I'd just make it "look" the part.

On a gelcoat/fiberglass structure you can carefully cut through the gelcoat without going through the underlying FG, resulting in what appears to be a separate panel but is actually still part of the structure. For this I used a gunsmith's wood checkering tool called a "V" cutter, which worked perfectly. The "hinge" is made from the shank of an aluminum pop-rivet, grooved to look like a piano hinge. Once the cowling is painted it will be glued into its slot and 2 stainless button-head screws will be glued into the holes "securing" the hatch ;)
DSC00962.JPG DSC00957.JPG
A light under the cowling shines thru the lines where the gelcoat has been cut away.

DSC00963.JPG