• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 35% Krill Extra 330SC....CUSTOM-ARF!!!

Pistolera said
Gotta keep up with the Forgues !!! 
encouragement.png

OK....Color Scheme Options: Buy a stock scheme, replicate a full scale or design an original?  Although Krill does some nice in-the-mold paint schemes, the ones I’ve seen vary in finish quality and ALL have mold seams on just about major piece.  With that in mind it didn’t take me long to decide to do a custom scheme, so I ordered an all white version from Chief (which also saved about $200). 

I'll just call her "Snow White"....for now....
DSC09430LR.jpg

DSC09423LR.jpg
nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif
nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
I really enjoy scaling out an airplane and this Extra just begs to be done right!  As this project continues to evolve I keep coming up with interesting details.  My goal is to have a knockout aerobatic plane with lots of scale detail that will be competitive in the Scale Nats and hopefully Top Gun, without adding a ton of weight...we’ll see.  Regardless, it’ll be as pretty as I can make it! 

Power will be a DA120 running KS 1060 pipes. At present I have Biela 26x12 3-blade props, to be covered by an SMJ spinner.  Dual Futaba Rx’s will drive HiTec and/or Futaba servos.  I also have a Harris smoke pump ready for it and won’t have to worry about loose covering ever again !!! 

Over the past 2 years I’ve completed a lot (most?) of the detail and systems and am currently prepping the plane for paint.  Remaining to do is still lots of wet sanding, filling, more sanding, etc and then gray primer.  The Krill is already pretty nice out of the box, but in addition to the seams, there are a few places where you can see fiberglass weave or underlying bulk heads, etc.   I’m trying to remove any evidence of seams, dimples, waves, etc.  I want it absolutely baby-butt smooth prior to color and clear coat.  I don't have the painting equipment so will have to rely on a friend or local auto-body shop to shoot the base-coat/clear-coat for me.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
PILOT - I refuse to have a plane without a pilot!!!! Since I already had a nice RedAeroRC pilot that I detailed out for my old Extra, "Mikey" was selected for the Krill. Upside is he's already painted in the Castrol colors....downside is he needs a little TLC after the old Extra bit the dust.
crushed.png

I used carbon arrow shafts and some of my favorite stuff, carbon/balsa/carbon laminate from ACP Composites. Plus Hysol of course!

Mounting tabs on the fuse were glued into place. 4-40 blind nuts were installed beneath each one for securing Mikey.

A side benefit of this mounting system was the added stiffness of the fuse, as it forms an "X" brace across that big opening.
DSC00436.JPG DSC00405LR.jpg

Last edited:

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
CANOPY - I hate canopy screws and really wanted to try a hinged canopy. So....after a couple of different ideas and mockups I finalized on one that looks very scale and is light weight.

The hinges are aluminum, 2-piece, with a stainless pin, from McMaster-Carr. After cutting out the two spots where they will go, I glued (Hysol) carbon fiber/balsa laminate (from ACP Composites) under each to bridge the cut out and restore strength to the fuse sides.

One ½ of each hinge is mounted vertically inside the fuse on the original hard-point for the stock canopy screws. The other ½ is mounted to the canopy rail, which also has a CF/balsa laminate strip glued inside. Additionally, had to add a CF/balsa bulkhead at the rear of the canopy to stiffen the whole thing, as it tended to flop around a bit when open.

Pics describe it better....

DSC00397LR.jpg DSC00398LR.jpg DSC00400LR.jpg DSC00410.JPG DSC00412.JPG DSC00423.JPG DSC00427.JPG

Code:
 Next installment will be the latches on the opposite side.

Last edited:

Mikeq

150cc
I really like that hinged canopy and it really looks professionally done. If I ever get a composite plane I will consider doing the same thing.

wesley.

70cc twin V2
On the carbon arrow shafts are those all one size or can you get different diameters?  I know absolutely nothing about bows i like pulling a trigger! 
sf-laugh.gif