• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHobbyShop 51" AJ Slick

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Nate, what electronics are you going with?

It is the same as my previous slick. V1 hacker. Castle phoenix 60 esc. Castle 10a bec. Hs 85mgs all around with the exception of the rudder. I had to replace the rudder servo and being short on cash I went with a solar d658. I'm hoping that doesn't come back to bite me too bad. I have used some in a flying wing for my brother and they seemed pretty solid and accurate. Finish it off with a 14x7 apc. Might switch to a xoar later but I like the apc ok. Ill be running a spektrum rx on my A9.

gyro

GSN Contributor
It is the same as my previous slick. V1 hacker. Castle phoenix 60 esc. Castle 10a bec. Hs 85mgs all around with the exception of the rudder. I had to replace the rudder servo and being short on cash I went with a solar d658. I'm hoping that doesn't come back to bite me too bad. I have used some in a flying wing for my brother and they seemed pretty solid and accurate. Finish it off with a 14x7 apc. Might switch to a xoar later but I like the apc ok. Ill be running a spektrum rx on my A9.

I have the solar d658 on the rudder of my 48" Super Vyper. so far so good, but only a handful of flights. Real fast on 6v & centers well.

SteveT.

100cc
As those of you who have the 51" Slick, may have found out, if using lighter batteries in it, it can be a bit of a bear to strap them in well......So, I have re-designed my existing battery tray for the "Byper" to accept larger batteries (up to...1.4" High X 1.9375 wide X 6.125" long). and am going to have a few cut. I will sell them for $22.00 including shipping via USPS Priority mail in the conus....These will screw down on the existing tray, and allow you to use only one strap to hold the battery in. It will be similar, but not exactly the same as the one in this picture... If you want one, PM me...

SteveT

Attachments

• Battery box.jpg
    Battery box.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 242

SteveT.

100cc
I have received the first test batch of these battery box/trays, but I had a slight flaw where two pieces do not overlap as they should due to an incorrect measurement on my part, but have ordered new pieces to correct this.... I will have them for sale in about a week if anybody is interested in them....$22.00 shipped via USPS Priority mail in the conus... The last two photos are from a similar box installed in a "Byper", but as I have not yet built, my 51" Slick, this will give you an idea of how they work.

SteveT.

Attachments

• Installed-wb.jpg
    Installed-wb.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 203
  • Byper Battery tray.jpg
    Byper Battery tray.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Installed.jpg
    Installed.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 206
  • Tray-wb.jpg
    Tray-wb.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

I just put 3 awesome flights on my 51 slick :D man what a joy that plane is to fly. Nothing flies like a slick :D

On the second flight I decided it was time to do some Knife Edge mixing. I had just been doing knife edge with my sticks but it doesn't inspire much confidence for bringing it down low. So I put it into knife edge going each direction to see what was happening. After landing I put some guesses into my tx for mixing aileron and elevator to the rudder. On the third flight I found I was pretty close. Landed and made a few adjustments. It is now really close to being perfect and I did my first low knife edge pass with this 51 slick. When you have it going fast you just have to barely breath on that rudder to maintain level flight. Looking forward to some fun practice now.

3dNater

Just had a deadstick on my slick. I was flying off a public street in front of a fallow field. I had pulled a long upline, pushed over into weeble wobbles and finished into a knife edge spin. After a few rotations I lost power. The plane was still high. I told my buddy I had lost power and he tells me there is a truck coming. So I glided past the truck and put it down just behind it. I feel like my slick is on borrowed time now. I gotta figure out what went wrong now. The motor wasn't hot and turned freely so there is either a loose connection or my. Castle phoenix 60 has finally given up.