• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 58" Edge 540

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm going to start to source the equipment for the 58" Edge I picked up dirt cheap at a swap meet. I think I've got the power system figured out (4s 4000mAh, 85A ZTW OPTO, 6A ZTW SBEC and a motor yet to be named). But what I'm debating is whether to go for HS-5245MG or HS-225MG. Is it worth the extra $60 to get the 5245MGs?

Yes.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
But what I'm debating is whether to go for HS-5245MG or HS-225MG. Is it worth the extra $60 to get the 5245MGs?

I am doing the same searching as you but for a 57" Extra SH and I hear good thinks of the Spektrum 5040 digital servos from Losifanatic. They are $27.99 so basically the same price as the 225's if you want to save that money.

When you connect your separate BEC when are you making your solder connection at the battery plug or splicing into the lines?

njswede

150cc
When you connect your separate BEC when are you making your solder connection at the battery plug or splicing into the lines?

I haven't gotten that far in my thinking. Depends on what works best for routing the wires, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
I am doing the same searching as you but for a 57" Extra SH and I hear good thinks of the Spektrum 5040 digital servos from Losifanatic. They are $27.99 so basically the same price as the 225's if you want to save that money.

I haven't gotten that far in my thinking. Depends on what works best for routing the wires, I think.

With the short ZTW battery leads, its a great way to wire some short 2" extensions on, and solder in the BEC and/or telemetry voltage wires right at the joint. This is how I do all my ESCs. Just remember, ZTW's max length from battery to board is 12" total.

-G

Luv3d

70cc twin V2
I build Deans for my SBEC's, so the female is soldered to a male, and at the solder joint (and tabs), I solder the (+) and (-) wires appropriately. Then I fill that joint with hot glue, so it holds the solder, joint, wires- all of it, and provides just a little support. After constructing- I put the SBEC wherever I need to, and just plug it into the ESC, and plug the battery into the SBEC male side. This works like a champ, and I've been doing it that way for about 18 months with no challenges. And if I decide to use the internal BEC of the ESC, I simply pull a servo connector off the Throttle channel, and plug the ESC back into the Rx- then remove the entire SBEC. Can be done in 1 minute.

Once the SBEC is built this way, it can be inserted into any airplane that quickly too....

Just food for thought.

St3v3

30cc
IMG-20121019-00956-300x225.jpg

Well it was nice while it lasted, I made a stupid mistake and put it in :cursing:

The front end of the fuselage is smashed and one of the wings is bent, I'm sure it can be fixed with a replacement motor box and a bit of time, I've emailed Rob at ADC to see if he can get hold of one for me, I also need a few other bits as well so hopefully it will all work out.

I enjoyed flying the Edge so much that I bought a spare whilst they were on offer from globalrc, its handles differently to my 51" slick, despite being heavier it feels more floaty and stable in my version of a harrier, it doesn't waterfall as well as the slick, but maybe thats down to my set up.

So Edge #2 should be ready again for the weekend, Edge #1 will be resting while I drum up the enthusiasm to do another repair.

gyro

GSN Contributor
View attachment 3707

Well it was nice while it lasted, I made a stupid mistake and put it in :cursing:

The front end of the fuselage is smashed and one of the wings is bent, I'm sure it can be fixed with a replacement motor box and a bit of time, I've emailed Rob at ADC to see if he can get hold of one for me, I also need a few other bits as well so hopefully it will all work out.

I enjoyed flying the Edge so much that I bought a spare whilst they were on offer from globalrc, its handles differently to my 51" slick, despite being heavier it feels more floaty and stable in my version of a harrier, it doesn't waterfall as well as the slick, but maybe thats down to my set up.

So Edge #2 should be ready again for the weekend, Edge #1 will be resting while I drum up the enthusiasm to do another repair.

Sorry to hear about the mishap! I had a few last weekend as well, nearly all my planes are "in the shop" for one repair or another.

If ADC doesn't have what you need in-stock, one thing to keep in mind is that the actual 3DHS Warehouse now offers international shipping through Bongo! You can find the info here: http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/Shipping-and-Returns_ep_50.html
Also, they do have the 58"MB kit in-stock: http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/58-Edge-540--Replacement-Motor-Box_p_16117.html

Hope this helps,

-G

Last edited by a moderator:

weaser42

30cc
Regarding waterfalls on the 58" Edge... I think my 58" does the best waterfalls of all the 3DHS planes I own (or have owned) which include: 41" Edge, 42" Vyper Bype, 46" Vyper(RIP), 48" Edge, 48" VR1, 51" Slick (RIP), 57" Extra, 59" Slick, 65" Vyper, 68" Velox, 70" Slick, 72" Extra, 74" Edge, and a 104" Slick. I've no doubt setup can make a huge difference on any plane.

I'm running my 58 on Motrofly 4315 6S 2500 packs on Xoar 15x8 and 7245MH servo's. I have to say I'm really enjoying the insane power on the 58":)

gyro

GSN Contributor
Regarding waterfalls on the 58" Edge... I think my 58" does the best waterfalls of all the 3DHS planes I own (or have owned) which include: 41" Edge, 42" Vyper Bype, 46" Vyper(RIP), 48" Edge, 48" VR1, 51" Slick (RIP), 57" Extra, 59" Slick, 65" Vyper, 68" Velox, 70" Slick, 72" Extra, 74" Edge, and a 104" Slick. I've no doubt setup can make a huge difference on any plane.

I'm running my 58 on Motrofly 4315 6S 2500 packs on Xoar 15x8 and 7245MH servo's. I have to say I'm really enjoying the insane power on the 58":)

I love that motor in this size! How much flight time are you getting with the 2500 packs?

-G