• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 70" Velox

gyro

GSN Contributor
National Balsa...I have had things cut at Manzanao Laser before, but they couldn't cut anything over 1/8" and this had to have the front and back pieces cut out of 3/16" ...and they didn't even carry 3/32" which are what the sides and top are made of... I must say, I was a pit disappointed at the amount of charring/smoke on the wood, but it doesn't "hurt' anything, just not very pretty...

SteveT

Paint it like ohioavaitor did to his 87" extra, that'd be cool... Besides, who'd see it under the cowl anyway :)

SteveT.

100cc
No paint, that just makes it heavier, and the reason I had this one made was to see if I could shave a bit of weight off over my aluminum one.....But alas, it only saves about 1.3oz. But as I have already found I had to move my packs forward to get the CG I wanted, with this mount, and the fact that I had to move the packs forward means I can probably take most if no all of the weight I have in the tail of the plane off and it will balance where I want it to.... We'll see... And you're right, once the cowl is on, you can't see it anyway... It does however annoy my sense of pride on how I do things..

SteveT

gyro

GSN Contributor
I bought the spot on arms from AztecAeroModel, and got the 1" for the ailerons, and the 1.25" for the elevator.
Rudder got the double arm.

-G

ryan_m

100cc
That's awesome news Ryan! I've got the 70" Slick and 64" MXS, and feel exactly as you do about them, so I'm now really anxious to start building my Velox so I can have that middle plane :)

Now the question is what motor for the Velox? I have a Motrolfly 4325-425kv in mine. Custom wind from Ken, with that motor I am running an 18x10 prop which lets the Velox go quite fast and get violent with tumbles much like the 64" MXS. Does great pop tops too. Or I could drop it down to a 19x8 and have a bit more thrust, though the 18x10 is not lacking there either. I've also ran an older 68" Velox with a Scorpion 4025-12 (450kv), Neu 1512 2d, Motrolfly 4325-380, and last a Rimfire 120 (also 450kv). I tried the 19x10 on the Motrolfly 4325-380, but kept wanting more speed. That damn MXS has forever changed my flying style to be faster and more high energy, and I found myself wanting a higher kv and more speed than the 19x10 on the 4325-380 could deliver. So the custom wound 4325-425 came to be. It was everything I wanted. And I think it made the Velox even more of that 'blend' plane between the 64 MXS and 71 Slick. Fast and fun and violent.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Now the question is what motor for the Velox? I have a Motrolfly 4325-425kv in mine. Custom wind from Ken, with that motor I am running an 18x10 prop which lets the Velox go quite fast and get violent with tumbles much like the 64" MXS. Does great pop tops too. Or I could drop it down to a 19x8 and have a bit more thrust, though the 18x10 is not lacking there either. I've also ran an older 68" Velox with a Scorpion 4025-12 (450kv), Neu 1512 2d, Motrolfly 4325-380, and last a Rimfire 120 (also 450kv). I tried the 19x10 on the Motrolfly 4325-380, but kept wanting more speed. That damn MXS has forever changed my flying style to be faster and more high energy, and I found myself wanting a higher kv and more speed than the 19x10 on the 4325-380 could deliver. So the custom wound 4325-425 came to be. It was everything I wanted. And I think it made the Velox even more of that 'blend' plane between the 64 MXS and 71 Slick. Fast and fun and violent.

Ryan, moved your post here to answer...

I'll be installing my motrolfly 4325-280 that used to be in my 70" Slick (I put a 5320-300 into my 70" Slick). I know from flying this motor in the Slick, that it is really powerful on the 19x10, and great on the 19x8. I didn't use the 18x10 much, as it didn't seem to work well on the bigger Slick, but I might have to try it on the Velox. I honestly figured I'd be using the 19x8 the most... but who knows. I'm planning on using the same 8s setup I have on my 70" Slick, two 4s4000 packs in parallel. I've gotta hunch with this setup I might need to have my batteries close to the wing tube, but won't know until I get building.