• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS 84" Bigfoot Build Log

SnowDog

Ok so the goal tonight was to get the engine and cowl mounted...I'm slow, and cutting the cowl is a slow process (for me anyway)...but I reached my goal. I also put the stock gas tank together. I like the Fortitude tanks but I don't have one laying around right now so I'm going to use the stock tank.

On to the pictures!

Used the template to drill the holes and mount the engine.
DSCF1077.jpg DSCF1079.JPG
DSCF1080.jpg DSCF1078.jpg

fiddled around with locating and drilling the fuel and throttle linkage holes:
DSCF1081.jpg DSCF1082.jpg

looking inside at where to place the throttle servo.
DSCF1085.jpg DSCF1084.jpg

Aztech aeromodels and SpotOn to the rescue!
DSCF1086.jpg DSCF1083.jpg
(I haven't actually finalized the mounting location; it may change
based on where the tank goes)

one of my least favorite parts...cutting the cowl...
cut...fit...cut...fit...and on it goes...
DSCF1087.jpg

Now the cuts are done, time to align the cowl and finalize the deal.
DSCF1090.jpg DSCF1089.jpg
DSCF1091.jpg DSCF1088.jpg

somewhat anti-climactic...hours of work, for this? ;)
DSCF1093.jpg DSCF1092.jpg

But it's done now and tomorrow night I can move on to the tank,
the doors, the windows, the RX, the batteries...etc. :D

SnowDog

Thanks Ashleigh! Getting very close to done now.

Ok, no mention in the manual about exit air vent for a gasser (or electric for that matter)....what are you folks with gassers doing about venting exit air from the cowl??????

There's a nice hole to cut open at the end of the tunnel. I'd cut that one plus I belive it will keep pressure from entering upper fuse and blowing the door open

Just finished mine and gonna maiden tomorrow

RC4x4

30cc
Thanks Ashleigh! Getting very close to done now.

Ok, no mention in the manual about exit air vent for a gasser (or electric for that matter)....what are you folks with gassers doing about venting exit air from the cowl??????

Open up the end of the pipe tunnel to drag the air out.
I did mine on electric. Opened up the last hole in the bottom of the fuse. I blocked my pipe tunnel
as I drilled 4 holes in the main firewall. Have not seen the door open. I added some small hinges from Hobby Lobby and painted them red. $2.15 for 4 of them.

Cory

Attachments

• IMG_5950.JPG
    IMG_5950.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 337
  • IMG_5962.JPG
    IMG_5962.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG5997.jpg
    IMG5997.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 328
Last edited by a moderator:

RC4x4

30cc
Joe recommended not opening a hole towards the rear of the fuse.

Why? Done it before on electric's.
I actually had to to fix some broken sheeting on the top of the fuse. That's pretty much why I did choose
that hole since I had to open it up.

Cory

gyro

GSN Contributor
Why? Done it before on electric's.

Cory

Not sure, but when I was talking to him about venting our Bigfoot (this one that Snowdog is building) he said:

"Don't open up any holes in the rear part of the fuse. Just use vent hole in the tunnel"

RC4x4

30cc
Not sure, but when I was talking to him about venting our Bigfoot (this one that Snowdog is building) he said:

"Don't open up any holes in the rear part of the fuse. Just use vent hole in the tunnel"

I bet that's why some of the doors may be popping open from the pressure. I flew mine again today and I never saw the door opening. I'm just confused about the suggestion on the air exit hole. Oh well. I'm fine with what I did.

Cory