• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC

Drew

70cc twin V2
90% of the time I get my hands on a DLE that's not running right or dead sticking, its not set up correctly or tuned properly. Just got to mess with them till you get them right, and run GOOD gas. :thumbup:

econpatric

70cc twin V2
90% of the time I get my hands on a DLE that's not running right or dead sticking, its not set up correctly or tuned properly. Just got to mess with them till you get them right, and run GOOD gas. :thumbup:

I am with you on this... I feel that the issue is more me than the motor. :megaroll:

I think what you'll find is the smaller engines are more sensitive to needle adjustments. Just the thickness of a screw driver blade can make engine go from rich to lean. Also can't be tuned accurately without a tach. You can get it close by ear, but guarantee a tach will show you the need to tweak it just a bit more.

quadracer

100cc
3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC thread

Well mine is pretty new and has only a gallon through it. I wanted to get my 'feet wet' with a smaller motor, but we don't have enough support around here to ask anyone for help with tuning. Really, I don't think it's the motor, its the lack of being properly tuned by its operator!

If its true that the larger motors tune easier, I might throw the 20 up for sale and make a run for the DLE 55 or EME 60. Thats what I want anyways.

If its only got a gallon through it, it is hardly broke in yet. From what I've read and experienced, tuning can be a bear until the engine is fully broke in.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
I think what you'll find is the smaller engines are more sensitive to needle adjustments. Just the thickness of a screw driver blade can make engine go from rich to lean. Also can't be tuned accurately without a tach. You can get it close by ear, but guarantee a tach will show you the need to tweak it just a bit more.

That is exactly what I've found. I was running it rich and flying with it, I decided to tweak it a little more to clean it up and had gotten it pretty close to the right RPM's with the DLE tach. It seemed ok on the ground but once in the air it wouldn't calm down without sputtering. Next was a dead stick, no crash.

My thoughts are now that I will take it off the plane and run it on a test stand until I can set it up and tune it better. I know they say to run it in the air for break in, but I'm about half way there, and this is a learning experience! I have not 'arrived' with gas tuning yet! :scaredchair:

econpatric

70cc twin V2
If its only got a gallon through it, it is hardly broke in yet. From what I've read and experienced, tuning can be a bear until the engine is fully broke in.

That is my understanding also. Like I said, I have no question that its more me than the motor.

Santi8

70cc twin V2
Re: 3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC thread

Are you suggesting that 50cc and larger is less headache?

I bought a DLE20 for the simple purpose of learning gas and it has been a bear for me to get tuned. I have read and tried all the different how to's on tuning, but have not had great luck. I have been thinking of 'throwing in the towel' on gas and just staying electric but if I understand your comment-- the larger the easier?

Yes, not all of them. But most people I've talked to who love gas mention that the small 30cc and under motors are a pita! Lots of people have issues with dle 30s and 20s but the 55 and 111, hardly any issues. I see many having to resort to more expensive motors in this size ie os33 due to the headaches.

Don't get discouraged, the 50cc and up motors are way less finicky. I don't recommend 30cc as a place to start due to all the nightmare stories I've heard. Even Wamsy was telling us about wanting to throw a small gas motor in the trash the other day. For many, gas just isn't worth it until 50cc mostly because of the headaches. Not necessarily the motors fault, but they can be more difficult to tune for beginners and experienced guys. Hang in there though, you aren't alone!

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Yes, not all of them. But most people I've talked to who love gas mention that the small 30cc and under motors are a pita! Lots of people have issues with dle 30s and 20s but the 55 and 111, hardly any issues. I see many having to resort to more expensive motors in this size ie os33 due to the headaches.

Don't get discouraged, the 50cc and up motors are way less finicky. I don't recommend 30cc as a place to start due to all the nightmare stories I've heard. Even Wamsy was telling us about wanting to throw a small gas motor in the trash the other day. For many, gas just isn't worth it until 50cc mostly because of the headaches. Not necessarily the motors fault, but they can be more difficult to tune for beginners and experienced guys. Hang in there though, you aren't alone!

Thank you Sir! This is an encouragement. It seems that if I get this DLE20 down the 50+ should come easier.

SteveT.

100cc
Yes, I agree. I'd love to throw an EME 60 on the 89, I think it'd give me 1hp more, which is huge!

As for the 30cc gas, its what I consider an "every day" gasser due to it's size. Luckily, I've got some good gas engine guys here locally, in Drew, Frankie, and Humberto. :)

A Hacker Q80-8M would give you 7.5 horse power, which is more than any of the appropriately sized gas engines.....:D

SteveT.

Santi8

70cc twin V2
Re: 3DHS --FLY LOW-- Always OFF TOPIC thread

A Hacker Q80-8M would give you 7.5 horse power, which is more than any of the appropriately sized gas engines.....:D

SteveT.

How much does that q80 with batteries and esc run? I think for the price and flight times, us budget guys will shy away from that option until it becomes more reasonable in price. That motor and esc combo runs more than the airframe!:eek: