• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 50% Christen Eagle full scale exclusiv-kit

TLFMM

50cc
Little backround Information about the project.

A short Story about the exclusiv kit eagle and the reason to do a kit Project like this.

In the end of 2011, I found at barnstormers a Christen Eagle project, ready covered but in a lot of
details not the best deal to buy it. After checking with our procedures in Germany for Experimental
aircraft and finding a guy to check the pictures of the project if this could be done in Germany-
period of 4-5 weeks were gone and - and the EAGLE was gone too...... I was very angry about that lost
chance to get an EAGLE project and decided: If there is a future chance to find something rare
I will be faster !
The following weeks I was always looking for Eagles, maybe if there is another Kit for sale
in the web.. In this weeks I found everything but no Eagle in 100% scale but a ready to cover
built Christen Eagle 50% scale from EMHW for "no money" so I decided If there is no
100% Eagle I go with the 50% Eagle...

4 weeks later I was working on the 50% EMHW "wood" EAGLE I have to search for a detail
in the web ( it was 12 pm in the night ) - and bang ! there was a 100% EAGLE project very in the beginning, with
engine, and a lot of more stuff at barnstormers and only 5 minutes old in the web !
I repeated instantly by mail. Because I was the first one ( of nearly 12 around the globe )
It was my decision to say yes or no to the deal.

I MADE THE DEAL and two weeks later we were on the trip to the States. ( Its better to do the crating
by yourself for the long trip to Germany )

OK to make it a littel shorter: In March 2013 I had my 100% EAGLE at home and started instantly
to work on it.

In the following weeks my amazement about the perfect Kit designed from Frank Christensen is not
ending. But the negative parts at the 50% Model and a lot of thins where you couldn´t understand
any more when you compare the real Aircraft with the 50% Model Eagle. The worst thing is: No measurement
and the cowling, Wheelpants are NOT looking like an Eagle !.

The parts from the EMH..... Eagle which are named as KIT are producing a lot of questions and nobody
knows if it would work with the weight and so on. A lot of guys are telling me that they are not
doing such a project because they don´t have the equipment in the workshop and are a little afraid
about the mass of unsolved problems they would get in building an aircraft like that. They also told
me - "IF there is a Kit which guarantees a succesful project like the Kit from Christensen they would go
for it...."

THE PROJECT EXCLUSIV-KIT EAGLE was born. Thas was the birthday of a big challenge to construct and
produce a PERFECT kit where no important questions are left in the end.
I had the special chance to build up the 100% EAGLE and parealell to this project the 50% EAGLE.

100%eagle_container.jpg
100%eagle_before_covering.jpg
100%eagle_wings.jpg
100%eagle_maxload.jpg
100%eagle_fuselage.jpg

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the detailed information and comparison.
55 lbs. is pretty light for a 50% plane.
Have you checked the thrust numbers on the Valach 210?

It would be nice to see a video with someone putting the prototype in a hover and doing a full power climb-out.
I know - not truly "scale" flying, but it does immediately show the available power in the system.

Let's see - all we need now is a constant speed prop. :fist_pump:
Oh, did I mention EFI, and onboard starter, too?!

The Valach 210 with Fiala 36X14 Prop, produces about 100lbs of static thrust.

N-O-V8-R

50cc
The Valach 210 with Fiala 36X14 Prop, produces about 100lbs of static thrust.

Almost 2:1 Now were talking! :fist_pump:

At 187 km/hr that would be 116 mph. Can that be correct?
Running the numbers assuming a 2-Blade prop, 36 x 14, your tip speed would be supersonic (320 m/s) at 6700 rpm, and only 89 mph, requiring 48 HP
At a more realistic 230 m/s would be 4800 RPM, 64 MPH, and only 18 hp.
Please Confirm.

WMcNabb

150cc
Great story Thomas!

I'm curious to know the reason for the wing loading test. Was this for certification in Germany?

N-O-V8-R

50cc
At 50 km/h or 31 MPH landing speed - isn't that really fast?
I'm not sure I could land it on our 450' runway!?
Will this bird have brakes :eek:)
Realistically, what do you feel is the minimum runway length need for the 50% Eagle?

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
Almost 2:1 Now were talking! :fist_pump:

At 187 km/hr that would be 116 mph. Can that be correct?
Running the numbers assuming a 2-Blade prop, 36 x 14, your tip speed would be supersonic (320 m/s) at 6700 rpm, and only 89 mph, requiring 48 HP
At a more realistic 230 m/s would be 4800 RPM, 64 MPH, and only 18 hp.
Please Confirm.

It is about 4800 RPM. The Valach is rated at 17 hp.

MattyMatt

70cc twin V2
At 50 km/h or 31 MPH landing speed - isn't that really fast?
I'm not sure I could land it on our 450' runway!?
Will this bird have brakes :eek:)
Realistically, what do you feel is the minimum runway length need for the 50% Eagle?

31 is pretty slow. Remember, this is not a 3D machine either. It is a scale plane, with scale surfaces.

Also, today's rate which is remarkably cheap for $ to Euro; the basic kit would be about $7600 + shipping. Then $3000 for the Valach and exhaust, $2000 for radio gear and batteries, plus finishing materials... this would be $13000-$15000, with you doing all the work.

TLFMM

50cc
Also, today's rate which is remarkably cheap for $ to Euro; the basic kit would be about $7600 + shipping. Then $3000 for the Valach and exhaust, $2000 for radio gear and batteries, plus finishing materials... this would be $13000-$15000, with you doing all the work.[/QUOTE]

-> the Price is inkluding 19% sales tax in Germany -( the end consumer Price) you have to calculate without
this tax - so it s aprox 5950 €
to complete this info:
info to the work which is to do: fuselage and tail is already done for nearly only "scewdriver" work.
To do the wings: with the parts and the Quality they are made, the ready formed wing-nose, redy
formed wingtips..... you will Need max. 30 hours for a wing ready to cover.

In the future documents and Infos we are reporting those work-hours ( like in Aviats info for the 100% EAGLE ) in a listing.

Question to MattyMatt: do you think the complete amount of costs are to high for such an aircraft ?
Here in Europe the really interrested People are not surprised.

Thomas

TLFMM

50cc
Great story Thomas!

I'm curious to know the reason for the wing loading test. Was this for certification in Germany?

Yes, we have to do that for experimental aircrafts - but I think this is a good Thing, you know before
you are pulling the max g´s if you are safe. In the next 2 weeks we are doing another final test with
the fuselage / Tial and Engine load. Therefore we have to load a Special amount of kg´s at the engine,
on the Elevators left and right, and non symetrical on the tail, and on the Pilot´s seat.
If this is done and documented, there is only a few cables,hoses and we can start the engine..:)))

Thomas