• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

55" EPP/Plywood/Carbon fiber Hybrid Yak 54 coming from Skywing

gyro

GSN Contributor
I'm curious why you think it would be better on 4S. (you've mentioned it about 4-5 times so far in this thread)

you realize that 2 3S 2200s are not that heavy, correct? Also, if this plane flies for 6-8 minutes on 6S 2200....then you'll need about a 4S 3000-3500 pack to get the same flight times and run higher amps.

I don't belive you'll get as much weight savings going with 4S as you think. (just my opinion)

I try to go as high voltage as possible whenever and wherever. (usually, motor kv availability is what sets the upper limit of how high you can go)

I only counted 3 posts mentioning 4s. :p

Moose, maybe he has a bunch of 4s3000 packs needing some use? Personally, I like 6s better, but I know plenty of people that run the motrolfly 4315-750 on 4s setups in 57-60" sized birds.

I'd have to defer to moose, as he probably has more experience ( haven't flown anything larger than my 48" stuff ), but I do have a bunch of 4s packs.
And I'm pretty sure it was only 3posts....but it was mentioned more than once in the posts ;)
What's probably best, is less speculation on my part, and just wait until the plane is actually in my hands to make my decisions.
Thanks for the info moose...more to think about now.

njswede

150cc
I'm flying my 58" Edge on 4000mAh 4s, and while the performance isn't ballistic, it gets the job done. The thing you have to watch out for with 4s is the current. Make sure your batteries have enough "C" and your ESC can handle the current. Also, your flight times will probably be shorter, as the higher current means more losses.

djmoose

70cc twin V2
Sorry if I came across funny, but rcguy seemed real against the 6S...and I just wanted to make sure everyone was aware that a 6S setup *could* be a better option.

When people see "6S"..visions of 6S 5000 packs appear...however if you put 2 3S 2200s next to each other...you realize how that's not that big at all.

That's all I was trying to convey. In the end, it makes sense to do what's right for you and your situation...just remember to change motor kVs (or props at the very least) when changing cell counts.

New pics of prototype #2, first color scheme.

Attachments

• scaleyakkitcontents.jpg
    scaleyakkitcontents.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 260
  • scaleyakswtopright (1).jpg
    scaleyakswtopright (1).jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 255

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
This is a nice looking Yak 54. I like the orange, white, black and silver colors (my 71" Slick has these colors) but to me this scheme is confusing...........no focal point. Kind of like a tiger or zebra, the stripes are for camouflage and confusion; I think my eyes would prefer a more docile design.