• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

71" AJ Slick Building, Flying, and Questions

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[video=youtube;UAYKoE7hCwQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYKoE7hCwQ&feature=youtube_gdata[/video]

gyro

GSN Contributor
got out today at lunch, and got one 16min flight on the 71. After last weekends wing mishap (servo tray and fiberglass sleeve coming loose) I swapped out the right wing with a spare I had accquired. Flew well today... except about 2/3 through the flight, I heard some new sounds from the engine. It was still performing well, so I kept flying a little longer.
When I landed, I could see the mufler was vibrating some, and it appears to have become loose. When installed it, I had used blue loctite. I've got some red now, so I'll take her off, clear her up, throw on some red loctite, and some high temp RTV permatex to make a new gasket.

I'm also looking for a slightly used and in good shape left wing if aynone has an extra. Like my right was, my left wing is pretty well worn and I'd swap it out if I came upon a nice left wing.

-G

hone

150cc
I've heard it's a good idea to re-tourqe the muffler bolts when the engine is up to operating temp.

Of course that was AFTER i had an incident similar to yours.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Gyro you can use permatex ultra copper RTV on that muffler (in place of gasket) as well as on the bolts (in place of loctite) and it will never come loose till you want it to. I put it on my DLE 35 and it is holding perfectly. Lots of guys use it on the bigger engines as well.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Gyro you can use permatex ultra copper RTV on that muffler (in place of gasket) as well as on the bolts (in place of loctite) and it will never come loose till you want it to. I put it on my DLE 35 and it is holding perfectly. Lots of guys use it on the bigger engines as well.

good deal, thanks Nate

ka9fax

30cc
Yep thats what i did, 1st season had a leak using gaskets spraying oil on my pretty engine. used ultra copper no gasket, its been leak free for the last 3 years.

STA60379.jpg