• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
I blew the canopy off of my 71" Slick (electric) on it's maiden flight, so all of my larger planes now have screws in the canopy...

SteveT.

Yupp, my 74" canopy snapped in half during flight without the canopy screws. Once I get a new canopy I plan on using them :)

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Ok, so I am about ready to bolt on the electric conversion motor extension. Because there is a little wiggle room (.5mm or even less) between the extension and the inside lip of the firewall, I am wondering if you just center it a much as possible or do you push it to a corner of the established firewall? I can't imagine it being too big of a deal, but I just want to have this plane set up as best I can.

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
Ok, so I am about ready to bolt on the electric conversion motor extension. Because there is a little wiggle room (.5mm or even less) between the extension and the inside lip of the firewall, I am wondering if you just center it a much as possible or do you push it to a corner of the established firewall? I can't imagine it being too big of a deal, but I just want to have this plane set up as best I can.
I just centered mine as best as possible, it is only an airplane after all ;).

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Sorry....but it's next.....I got my Velox maidened, and a couple flights on it today along with my 89" Slick....So....74" will be going back out next!!

SteveT

I feel like I'm :deadhorse: but Steve, I was looking through some of the earlier posts here and found this one. I'm interested in the history about what transpired from the first maiden on the 74" Edge with this motor, to this statement about the Hacker A60-5s: "But A60-5S on 8S is outstanding in this plane...." I am wondering if your willing to explain your flights and previous experiences with other 25% setups, it seems like you really like the setup?

SteveT.

100cc
I feel like I'm :deadhorse: but Steve, I was looking through some of the earlier posts here and found this one. I'm interested in the history about what transpired from the first maiden on the 74" Edge with this motor, to this statement about the Hacker A60-5s: "But A60-5S on 8S is outstanding in this plane...." I am wondering if your willing to explain your flights and previous experiences with other 25% setups, it seems like you really like the setup?

Due to various things beyond my control, I only have about seven flights on the 74" (two today),but I love it with this power combination. I can come off of the ground and go vertical as far as I want from basically a ten foot roll out....As I have said before, I am not an accomplished 3D flier, but the plane does everything I want it to do, and like today, I had my timer set at five minutes and landed with 38% and 39% of the packs left. I am going to start boosting it up a bit to get it down to about 25% of pack left. The motor came down at basically ambient temps, and the batteries were only slightly warm. As noted in previous posts, I am running a Xoar 20X10"W" carbon gas prop... The two flights today consisted of K.E. flight, hard climb outs to altitude for K.E. spins, (attempted), tumbles, snaps, inverted and right side up flat spins...all with no problems at all, and the plane is pretty fast..... A few people have said they couldn't get this motor to perform, but in seeing what props they were running, I really think the prop I am running is what brings this motor to life.... As the pattern as pretty full today, I didn't get a chance to try any hovering with it.....but considering how it pulls on take off (most people have a tendency to go WOW! when they see it), I can't see it having any problem with pull out from a hover.

SteveT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if I had stuck it out with the A60-5S with the 20x10W electric I got for it and the new batteries it would have been great. Just circumstances led to the airframe going back to gas and I sold the stuff before I got around to getting another airframe for it. This might be a good combo for the new EF 78" MXS whenever it comes out if you wanted to stick with 8S.

Looking back on it, batteries were the major contributor to my woes as well as unrealistic expectations for the 78 Extra.

Last edited by a moderator:

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Due to various things beyond my control, I only have about seven flights on the 74" (two today),but I love it with this power combination. I can come off of the ground and go vertical as far as I want from basically a ten foot roll out....As I have said before, I am not an accomplished 3D flier, but the plane does everything I want it to do, and like today, I had my timer set at five minutes and landed with 38% and 39% of the packs left. I am going to start boosting it up a bit to get it down to about 25% of pack left. The motor came down at basically ambient temps, and the batteries were only slightly warm. As noted in previous posts, I am running a Xoar 20X10"W" carbon gas prop... The two flights today consisted of K.E. flight, hard climb outs to altitude for K.E. spins, (attempted), tumbles, snaps, inverted and right side up flat spins...all with no problems at all, and the plane is pretty fast..... A few people have said they couldn't get this motor to perform, but in seeing what props they were running, I really think the prop I am running is what brings this motor to life.... As the pattern as pretty full today, I didn't get a chance to try any hovering with it.....but considering how it pulls on take off (most people have a tendency to go WOW! when they see it), I can't see it having any problem with pull out from a hover.

SteveT.

SteveT, what was the spacing between the firewall and the motor mount plate for this plane with the Hacker 60-5s? Thanks!

SteveT.

100cc
SteveT, what was the spacing between the firewall and the motor mount plate for this plane with the Hacker 60-5s? Thanks!

None.....the motor bolted right to the firewall leaving a spinner gap of a little less than 3/32", which is a bit more than I like, but certainly nothing egregious...

SteveT.