• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

74" Edge 540

joshgluck

100cc
Hey guys need some help... Tried mocking up the dle-35ra to my new to me airframe and it doesn't fit within the firewall. I am probably doing something really wrong and could use some help. Does anyone have a dle-35ra setup on their edge? This whole thread seems to be electric..

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hey guys need some help... Tried mocking up the dle-35ra to my new to me airframe and it doesn't fit within the firewall. I am probably doing something really wrong and could use some help. Does anyone have a dle-35ra setup on their edge? This whole thread seems to be electric..

photos would help depict what you're describing. Can you post a few?

-G

joshgluck

100cc
photos would help depict what you're describing. Can you post a few?

-G

Will have to be tomorrow night, I'm all packed up. Basically the motor mounts line up outside the firewall box. Like the surface area to mount the motor to is too small

joshgluck

100cc
all 4 bolts or just the bottom 2?

Two fit and the other two line up on the edge of the balsa that forms the firewall. Without the dle-30 insert (square balsa sheet with dle-30 laser etchd) the box is slight recessed. Does that make sense?

robj

70cc twin V2
The dle-30 balsa sheet is just a drilling guide. Is the bolt pattern the same on the 35?

Looks like they are not the same...if I'm reading it correctly....
dle30
Distance Between Mounting Hole Centers Same Side: 2.1" (54mm)
Distance Between Mounting Hole Centers Opposite Side: 2.7" (70mm)

dle35
Distance Between Mounting Hole Centers Opposite Side: 3.1" (80mm)

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor
The dle-30 balsa sheet is just a drilling guide. Is the bolt pattern the same on the 35?

Looks like they are not the same...if I'm reading it correctly....
dle30
Distance Between Mounting Hole Centers Opposite Side: 2.7" (70mm)

dle35
Distance Between Mounting Hole Centers Opposite Side: 3.1" (80mm)

Rob, I think the bottom bolts are wider to accommodate the rear exhaust. I had a similar issue when mounting the DLE-55ra on my 87" and had I trim the flange of one of the mounting bolts.

modified flange.jpg

Short of making a new, wider motorbox, not sure there is an easy fix?

joshgluck

100cc
Rob, I think the bottom bolts are wider to accommodate the rear exhaust. I had a similar issue when mounting the DLE-55ra on my 87" and had I trim the flange of one of the mounting bolts.

Short if making a new, wider motorbox, not sure there is an easy fix?

I think I have the same issue you had on the 55ra.. I was under the impression though that a lot of folks were bolting the 35ra to 7x frames. Maybe Steve can make some custom mounts that fit or maybe we need to figure out an easy way to augment the mbox.

Gary, can you send a pic of the 55 mounted?

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think I have the same issue you had on the 55ra.. I was under the impression though that a lot of folks were bolting the 35ra to 7x frames. Maybe Steve can make some custom mounts that fit or maybe we need to figure out an easy way to augment the mbox.

Gary, can you send a pic of the 55 mounted?

Edited the post above with the pic.

If you go that route, I HIGHLY recommend Craig Morgan's (CMALA) business for Stand Offs:

www.customstandoffs.com

He's got plenty of experience helping people with great products at a reasonable price. Plus, he's got an easy to use website setup for ordering.