• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

91" Extra 300-EXP ARF

cwojcik

70cc twin V2
I like to run the first gallon with Pennzoil air-cooled 2-stroke oil (natural), then switch to Stihl HP Ultra(synthetic). The lower film strength of the natural oil helps the ring seat quickly. Make sure the needles are reasonable and get a few flights on it with gentle uplines and downlines, letting it heat cycle. After that you can start to push it harder. Re-tune when you switch to synthetic.

However, many people start with synthetic from day one instead of starting with natural oil and DA says you can do either though it will take a bit longer to break in with synthetic...but you don't have to re-tune and you don't have to deal with two filler cans. Despite the arguments you will find in some places, either method can work great.

We should write a wiki article on break-in....

Anyway, to get back on topic, I flew ghoffman's 91 the other weekend and it's a pretty incredible airplane. It's as big as a 100cc plane and even though he had the CG neutral it tracked better than any plane I've ever flown in this size. I'm definitely going to find a new home for my 60 and will wait for the Yak but it's pretty tempting to get one of these...

gyro

GSN Contributor
I like to run the first gallon with Pennzoil air-cooled 2-stroke oil (natural), then switch to Stihl HP Ultra(synthetic). The lower film strength of the natural oil helps the ring seat quickly. Make sure the needles are reasonable and get a few flights on it with gentle uplines and downlines, letting it heat cycle. After that you can start to push it harder. Re-tune when you switch to synthetic.

However, many people start with synthetic from day one instead of starting with natural oil and DA says you can do either though it will take a bit longer to break in with synthetic...but you don't have to re-tune and you don't have to deal with two filler cans. Despite the arguments you will find in some places, either method can work great.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I flew ghoffman's 91 the other weekend and it's a pretty incredible airplane. It's as big as a 100cc plane and even though he had the CG neutral it tracked better than any plane I've ever flown in this size. I'm definitely going to find a new home for my 60 and will wait for the Yak but it's pretty tempting to get one of these...

VERY TEMPTING!!!

Lucky for me I've got two other 50/60cc sized planes, but I might have to sell one this summer and get the this Extra!

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador

Maybe I can get that one as a hand me down to keep his 78 company- nudge nudge Gary! OK, we'll get the 78 flying first and I'll give you a chance to break in the 91" It is a sweet machine!

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
As long as you can use "stock" type mufflers, it will be a piece of cake, especially since this plane builds tail heavy. If you need cans or pipes, it will be a challenge to get it all to fit.