• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC 93" AJ Laser - Electrified

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Getting close. Just have a couple of little issues to iron out.
1. Canopy Screws are too short or missing.
2. I have an issue with me Truturn Adapter.

Here's how it looks now:
Wiring.jpg

Wiring done.
Spark Protector.jpg

Jeti spark protector installed.
Setup Complete.jpg

Interior complete.
Pilot.jpg

Pilot ready for inverted passes!

Should be able to maiden tomorrow, if I get my issues cleared.

gregm

IMAC Flyer
AMASS AS150 or Jeti antispark connectors work well and you don't need to plug in another wire.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
I may need to install the anti spark in my 12S planes. Where are you getting them?
I got them frpom Esprit Model. Really like dealing with them. Lots of good stuff. Its also where I got my favorite Transmitter Tray.

Fired up a test run tonight and clocked right at 5000 Watts! Right on target.

Hope the weather holds tomorrow! Its time to hit the sky!

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Ok, here's an update. The maiden went fine flying wise. CG right on, flew smooth and plenty of power. BUT....

Apparently my ammeter peaked out and did not give me a full reading, because during my second flight the ESC burned out. I connected it to the Programmer when I got home and it registered 196A. I think that might be a bit off! But I do think I was drawing more than I originally thought.

I had a Gecko 120, so I did some testing with the 22 x 12 x 3 and was reading around 130 amps (which is the limit of the ammeter). So, I ordered a 22 x 10 x 3 and was able to get a reading of 120 A, but obviously everything was very hot.

Esprit is looking at the ESC and is fixing it for me. These guys/gals are great to deal with. So, I also am looking at a Castle 160HV with fan. I want to make sure I am in the 120 A range, then will test fly again and see if power is still good.

Maybe this weekend??

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Tried a Castle Edge 160 HV and got a 96A/4100W max reading on the Watt Meter. When I hooked up Castle Link it showed 120A/5000W. I know that Castle has a reputation of limiting power (and I am pretty sure it is), but I am surprised its logging higher numbers.

I show its 4.11v software even though I just got the controller. They are up to 5.22 (5 versions ahead). So I will try updating the firmware and see if that helps.

If I put a Gecko 120 on it the current goes over 120A and I have to throttle down.

Was really hoping the Castle would perform. Wont get anything done till Saturday and I'll update then,

hbollier

70cc twin V2
Tried a Castle Edge 160 HV and got a 96A/4100W max reading on the Watt Meter. When I hooked up Castle Link it showed 120A/5000W. I know that Castle has a reputation of limiting power (and I am pretty sure it is), but I am surprised its logging higher numbers.

I show its 4.11v software even though I just got the controller. They are up to 5.22 (5 versions ahead). So I will try updating the firmware and see if that helps.

If I put a Gecko 120 on it the current goes over 120A and I have to throttle down.

Was really hoping the Castle would perform. Wont get anything done till Saturday and I'll update then,
I had better luck with 4.02 and 4.22. Everything in between I didn't like much. The 4.22 firmware more closely matches the watt meter, but if I recall correctly the 4.02 had more power with the settings that I used. Check out the power systems for extreme flight fanatics thread on RCG. A couple guys posted info on the setup you have.

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Thanks. Went through the thread and it looks like 4.22 solved the issue.

Can't wait to get home Saturday and test it out!

Krzy4RC

GSN Contributor
Well......Trouble comes in three's! Flying my Ventique before the Laser and lost control. Figured I had buggered something up. Was a little ticked and the weather rolled in. Luckily, chose not to fly Laser. Went back to the field Saturday and put up my Crack Laser and crashed it in the same spot as the Ventique.

Come to find out, my DX18 has a range of about 100 ft! It ranges fine with the built in range test. But, if you walk away from the airplane it loses contact at about 100 ft. So, I am SOOOO glad I put up no other planes. (The Crack was glued back and up on my DX6i on Sunday).

I am trying to get a response from Horizon to get the radio evaluated. But, in the meantime I have taken this excuse to move to another radio. It was a tough decision between JR and Jeti. I chose Jeti for the Telemetry options.

Hopefully will have it this week and plane up this weekend.

ITS ALWAYS SOMETHING! (But I am excited about the Jeti....)