• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Advice/Opinion on an engine

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I will second this. Tim has extensive experience with the GP-123, and having seen them in person I can tell you that motor is a serious hotrod.
It definitely proved it was king :dancing-poop:last year. But then, anything Tim flies is massively beastly. :laughing:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Since I posted this thread I have been pouring over every ARF I could find, Youtube vids of like airframes, have notes on all the engines mentioned here. I have come to the conclusion that in order to meet my needs (what I want) the Pitts will have to go on a diet. I will have to build it with a minimal of components, shave weight where I can with the wood, and use a lighter covering than Stits. But, I do believe I can get it under the 30lb mark and if so will use the GP123. This is not a budget build per say but rather I want this Pitts to be a performer. Just something to thrash around without worrying about dorking a corner or something. So I am going to wait on getting the engine until it is framed and all other components installed, as few as they may be, ready to fly less covering, and see where it is at weight wise. Of course I may need help on how to cover with plastic when the time come's, especially the fuse to fin transition, it has been an extremely long time since I used any.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Since I posted this thread I have been pouring over every ARF I could find, Youtube vids of like airframes, have notes on all the engines mentioned here. I have come to the conclusion that in order to meet my needs (what I want) the Pitts will have to go on a diet. I will have to build it with a minimal of components, shave weight where I can with the wood, and use a lighter covering than Stits. But, I do believe I can get it under the 30lb mark and if so will use the GP123. This is not a budget build per say but rather I want this Pitts to be a performer. Just something to thrash around without worrying about dorking a corner or something. So I am going to wait on getting the engine until it is framed and all other components installed, as few as they may be, ready to fly less covering, and see where it is at weight wise. Of course I may need help on how to cover with plastic when the time come's, especially the fuse to fin transition, it has been an extremely long time since I used any.
Oh heck...it will be a breeze for you. And if all else fails, there are tons of guys here that are more than willing to offer up their knowledge, experience and assistance. I think once you are done, it is going to be an animal like you've never known. Covering is just as easy too. The transition from fuse to fin really is not too difficult. A little patience, a little tenacity and a little determination is all you need. Key thing I always keep in mind....K.I.S.S. Keep it simple.... If you don't need something, don't put it in. An ounce here, a couple of ounces there...and before you know it....a pound is saved. Be sure to do a build thread. I myself will be looking very forward to your progress.:way_to_go:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I will most definitely do the build on my Pitts thread @stangflyer. I know there are plenty of places in the kit to shave some weight wood wise. And I also know that all the electronics and such I install is not a necessity. All this one will get is the servos, a Rx, a battery, and a switch. I can do thing's like use a carbon slave rod to eliminate the top wing servos and wiring, a manual choke instead of servo operated, a lighter fuel tank than the kits supplied one, and I could (but not sure if I will) incorporate longer wing tubes and eliminate the flying wires. As you can see I have some ideas and welcome others thoughts as to where and how to lighten the load.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I will most definitely do the build on my Pitts thread @stangflyer. I know there are plenty of places in the kit to shave some weight wood wise. And I also know that all the electronics and such I install is not a necessity. All this one will get is the servos, a Rx, a battery, and a switch. I can do thing's like use a carbon slave rod to eliminate the top wing servos and wiring, a manual choke instead of servo operated, a lighter fuel tank than the kits supplied one, and I could (but not sure if I will) incorporate longer wing tubes and eliminate the flying wires. As you can see I have some ideas and welcome others thoughts as to where and how to lighten the load.
Sweet....see? It'll be aight. Really looking forward do your build and the finished..."FLYING" two winged animal.