• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AeroWorks 150cc Ultimate

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I received the elogger for this bird today and even though it is raining I can still think about the install. Hopefully get the fuse from the trailer to the shop in the morning before the rain starts. So I have been pondering the install and something occurred to me, I am running dual batteries through a Booma pin flag to dual ports on the Rx. The connectors are standard universal and I do believe they are only rated at 5 amp so I have a 10 amp total supply. But I have 10 HV servos and the ignition on this 10 amp supply so I am wondering if I should install a second pin flag to get a total of 20 amp supply. I don't think I will do anything until I get a flight with the elogger in to see what kind of energy it is pulling. I was wondering what you guys might think about this supply and possible demand.

Have to agree with that two standard Rx connectors would make me a little nervous. But they are rated at 5 amps continues. And are good for 15 amp spikes. I tested one once and it could sustain 10 amps for 12 amps and then it started to fail but also the wire inside the connector started to fail. Believe you are ok it is more of a concern on the voltage drop across the connector and getting the full potential of the servos. But seeing you have the tools and equipment to see what the system is doing then make your decision. Also remember the peaks are not important it is the RMS value that is important do not know why everybody keeps talking about peak value.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Have to agree with that two standard Rx connectors would make me a little nervous. But they are rated at 5 amps continues. And are good for 15 amp spikes. I tested one once and it could sustain 10 amps for 12 amps and then it started to fail but also the wire inside the connector started to fail. Believe you are ok it is more of a concern on the voltage drop across the connector and getting the full potential of the servos. But seeing you have the tools and equipment to see what the system is doing then make your decision. Also remember the peaks are not important it is the RMS value that is important do not know why everybody keeps talking about peak value.
I agree it may be ok but it is the idea of "what if" that bothers me and once the thought is there. The batteries are more than capable and have deans on the end. So I pulled the single output Deans and added another standard plug to the Deans on each battery, one line from each battery to the Rx and one for smoke and tele. Should be ok like this, will find out next time out.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Now if I can just figure out how to hook the rpm up. The ignition has a lead for it but I don't know what type of output it is. Is it a positive negative, a negative and signal, or a open closed loop type. Hmmmm, where is stang/ Rob when you need him?????

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Now if I can just figure out how to hook the rpm up. The ignition has a lead for it but I don't know what type of output it is. Is it a positive negative, a negative and signal, or a open closed loop type. Hmmmm, where is snoop/ Rob when you need him?????
Sorry do not know the answer to this one have not had the opportunity to connect a tachometer up in the RC world.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry do not know the answer to this one have not had the opportunity to connect a tachometer up in the RC world.
I have an RCGF and RCEXCEL rpm meter but they both have three wires. While typing this I remembered something. The Valach is a two wire and back 8-10 years ago, I think it was Joe at RCEXCEL that told me how to wire it up. And, NO, I don't remember how it was done but can go look at the 170 in the Pitts as it is wired that way.
And I assume you know I meant stang/Rob.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have an RCGF and RCEXCEL rpm meter but they both have three wires. While typing this I remembered something. The Valach is a two wire and back 8-10 years ago, I think it was Joe at RCEXCEL that told me how to wire it up. And, NO, I don't remember how it was done but can go look at the 170 in the Pitts as it is wired that way.
And I assume you know I meant stang/Rob.
Sorry about that and yes it would be nice if he would answer he would know with all his experience with 3W.
It would be nice to know if he is just ok.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I tried calling him a couple weeks back and got no answer. I guess he'll come back around when he is ready.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok, I figured it out. I put the wiring in place with the tele end repositionable and started spinning the engine with a drill, yes the plugs were out and plugged into the caps. No matter what orientation I placed them as soon as they were hooked up no fire. Now back when I started this 3W venture Stang made some recommendations of which I did all but one. That one being replace the ignition with an RCEXCELL, I bought it but did not think it needed it after flying it. So, tomorrow I will swap out the ignitions and therefore get a correct plug to use for the rpm's. And if Stang is right, which he was with everything else, it should run even better. Of course as good as it runs if it gets any better, holy cow!!!!

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry

It's because peak values cause the biggest voltage drop on the batteries and voltage drop causes electronics to behave unreliably. And it is "over time" or how long the drop last's. This information (how long the voltage drop last's) is not available on any data / flight logger that I know of. The connectors themselves are fine as long as they maintain a good tight fit. It's the tight fit being maintained that's the weak link in JST style connectors. A loose connection on any electrical circuit causes problems. Amps go up voltage drops and excessive heat is generated on the conductor to further cause the amps to go up voltage to drop. A vicious circle indeed. Measured resistance across a connector would be a better "measuring stick" on connector performance and how it relates to the voltage the servo actually gets.
Root Means Square values would be more important to me in how loud my boombox gets before I blow a voice coil lol.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Finally got to installing the new ignition this morning. With the elogger hooked up to the lap top and running on live mode I hit the heads with some hot air and the temps went up, pulled the trigger on the drill and waa laa I have rpm movement. So this rainy weather has gave me the time to improve the power supply, install the elogger, and switch out the ignition. Looking forward to tomorrows trip to the field.
As for all that technical jargon, if I can't see it or measure it I can't do anyhing about it. Or can I? Of course I can. I can ensure there is ample power supply, I can ensure the battery is in excellent health, I can ensure all connections are tight and corrosion free, I can keep track of flight time's and power used, and I can take the proper course of action if any of these items appear to be giving way in the slightest. The elogger may not be able to give me the spikes but it can give me the overall picture and as long as that picture remains the same from flight to flight along with the aforementioned I think I'll be alright.