• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Airwild 35% Edge 540T

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice, looks like it would be cool, little different airfoil than is used on most current planes but not horrible. Good excuse to get one of the new 120cc engines as an investment.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Mike, I hadn't considered the 123. I've got the GP61 in my Carf and it makes tons of power.
Bill loves his GP 123. It has more low end grunt than his DA 120. I think it would be a great match-up to this Edge. It's going to need some grunt to haul it around.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I did a little weighing parts tonight. Mainly the aluminum wing and stab tubes. The wing tube weighs 12.65 ounces and the stab tube was 3 ounces.
The previous owner said he needed a pound in the nose to make it balance, and he was running a 3W 106 which isn't exactly light.. Like Bunky and Silvanskii said this is already a flying anvil so the last thing you need is ballast weight.

3 ounces for a stab tube doesn't sound like much, but a carbon tube is less than half, and every ounce you can knock off the tail is about 4 ounces less you need on the nose for balance. The last owner had most of the equipment behind the CG for some reason. I can see that just like my Carf, everything is going to need to be mounted as far forward as possible.

I think some carbon parts are in order.

Mikeq

150cc
I cant wait to see what you do to make that plane better suited for flying and the paint job ...Despite the weight I still think you got a hell of a deal at 50 bucks..Subscribed

Careful component selection, and going as minimalistic in yours set up will yield some lighter weight results.

I bought a carbon tube for my MX2, it takes the aluminum tube weight in half! 12 oz on the CG works great! Atleast it will when it goes back together.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Careful component selection, and going as minimalistic in yours set up will yield some lighter weight results.

I bought a carbon tube for my MX2, it takes the aluminum tube weight in half! 12 oz on the CG works great! Atleast it will when it goes back together.
I changed the stab and wing tubes in my Carf Extra to carbon. I was very disappointed when the new wing tube only turned out to be 1.2 ounces lighter than the aluminum one.:( The stab tube made a huge difference. After epoxying blind nuts in it for the stab bolts it still weighed almost 1.5 ounces less than the aluminum one. When you figure the length of the tail arm I was able to take the 8 ounce balance weight out of the nose. The Extra is still a pig at 21.75 pounds, but every little bit helps.

I need to do some measuring and see what carbon gear I can get to fit this Edge. Either than or I'll have TNT make some new aluminum gear, but the weight savings of carbon would be nice. As long as it can stand up to the weight of this thing.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Jetpainter, I have a spare wing tube that I bought that is a slightly odd metric size that is close to 1.5". Before you buy one put a calipers on yours and see what the O.D. is and I'll see if it matches this one I have. If it works I think I only paid like $10 for it, if you can use it perfect! I can weigh it and see if there is savings as well.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Jetpainter, I have a spare wing tube that I bought that is a slightly odd metric size that is close to 1.5". Before you buy one put a calipers on yours and see what the O.D. is and I'll see if it matches this one I have. If it works I think I only paid like $10 for it, if you can use it perfect! I can weigh it and see if there is savings as well.
Terry I went to measure it last night, and my digital caliper was dead. I measured it with cheap dial caliper and it measured just slightly larger than 1.5" , but it's waaaaay too tight in the socket. I'll try to get a good measurement on it tonight and see what it really is. 38mm and 1.5" are only .004" apart. I don't remember the exact length off the top of my head, but it was about 37.5" long.