• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Aj aircraft 93,73,56 laser

I was finally able to hear AJ's pod cast. Looking forward to the oppertunity to purchase a 73 or 90-ish Laser. Sounds like a down to earth guy. Enjoied the pod cast.

After listening to the podcast I plugged in Andrews 73" setup into [MENTION=95]Aeroplayin[/MENTION] 's calculator. I had the A60-5S in the past and had issues with it, but I was one of the first to get one and I was using what turned out to be weak batteries and a plane probably too big for the setup. This is what I came up with. For batteries, I am assuming Andrew is using Thunderpower 45C for a weight comparison.

Xoar 21x10 PJN prop, A60-5S, 8s 4400 (467x2=944g)

2986 watts with 5.5 minutes of flight time at 40% average throttle. 2.64:1 thrust to weight.

Then I changed it to the A60-8S model setup for 12S 3300 (510x2=1020g)

2609 watts with 7.08 minutes of flight time at 40% average throttle. 2.27:1 thrust to weight.

The amps are much lower with the 12S setup for sure and the weight penalty is minimal. The motors are assumed at the same weight.

Now if we go with the motor I have laying around which is a A60-6XS, you loose 115 grams in motor weight AND the single battery weights 782 grams, another 158 grams shaved. Also you could get away with a slightly lighter ESC, but for this I will skip that assumption.

2486 watts with 5.63 minutes of flight time at 40% average throttle. 2.33:1 thrust to weight.

Now I am not totally certain I am using the calculator correctly, but I did not change the prop, effeciency, or temp from these different runs. I did change the model weight to reflect the different setups assuming Andrew's 10.25 pound AUW with his setup is accurate

Last edited by a moderator: