Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  2. Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

Discussion in 'AJ-Aircraft.com' started by AKNick, May 16, 2015.

1. AKNick

AKNick 100cc

Alaska
    Fast rollers and blenders finally caught up with this bird. Right wing bolt support cracked! Wing moves about a 1/2” with the bolt installed.
    [​IMG]
    Made some thin G10 board support and epoxied it in place. Much more robust, but still flexes a bit.
    [​IMG]
    Went flying with the repair, and it held up quite nicely. Need to do the other side.
    [​IMG]

Worked on my throttle curve. It’s not so jumpy on takeoff and hovers with a buffer at 1/2 throttle, then spikes for my throttle bumps for rollers.
    [​IMG]
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Xpress

Xpress GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Try and set your servo up so that it has a mechanical curve built into the throttle linkage, it really smooths things out and makes the throttle feel way more linear.

8669516563_3772c324c6_c.jpg

25587757_10215981725522906_5192552099807323251_o.jpg

49dimes, Alky6, AKNick and 1 other person like this.
  3. AKNick

AKNick 100cc

Alaska
    I set mine up at the half stick/valve position and adjusted my end points. Created the an electronic curve to supplement the lack of a mechanical curve like you just shared. Funny, originally I thought I was setting it up wrong starting at low stick/valve position which actually created a mechanical curve but I redid it for a linear linkage setup as was posted by someone else. The method you shared makes way more sense. Luckily I can create a electronic curve to achieve essentially the same result. For the moment I am happy with the way it is and will introduce a mechanical curve on my next build. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Xpress

Xpress GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Throttle curves in your transmitter will help to smooth out the midrange but can make a very sudden and often ballistic top end power range. Mechanical curves are really the only way to overcome this issue.

5. AKNick

AKNick 100cc

Alaska
    Noted. For the ballistic on the top end... my steep climb starting below half stick position at about -40% (at what would be half stick position 0% without the curve) to create a retarded half stick position at +25% advance (the new 0% for half valve position for this linear linkage setup)... this makes the top end throttle valve (past half throttle stick position) linear from half stick to full stick which isn't ballistic but rather subtle in this case. If anything it seems to lack power lol. But like I said, it works for me. I love that chart you posted, worth printing off a leaving it around the shop. Thanks for that!