• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Does it seem odd that the 73" V2 has a removable rudder? I don't think the rudder has as big of a foot print compared to making it a removable elevator/horiz stab on this model... but then that adds more weight... so it's a wash I guess.

I finally got to maiden my Laser 230z today, and all I can say is WOW.

Its the best handling 3D airplane I've ever flown. The only plane that comes close is the Aeroworks Freestyle 260 QB, and the AJ laser has much more power with the same exact motor IMO (DLE 35ra)

No coupling in knife edge, hovers with ease and snaps and spins like a top.

The only thing that stopped the days fun was a missing canopy pin, mine parted with the plane sometime during the first flight. If you value your canopy, wick some CA onto the CF pins; the factory glue did not hold.

Cant wait to fly it again!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
I freaking love that plane! I flew the one supatim had and yes the canopy ended up in the elevator bringing an end to that airframe!

By the way that was the first mid air I've ever heard of with itself! Lol

Thank you for the information. I searched another site and found others who had the same problem. I tried installing the canopy screws that came with my kit but they did not fit the supplied 3mm blind nuts.

I found a set in my spare parts drawer that did work though, they are from Redwing RC:

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_28&products_id=72

Now I've got a bulletproof canopy that is not going to come off no matter what I do to the plane (except smashing it into the ground!).

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Awesome!! Can you show a pic of the failure point? Also, where is your CG and how does it feel to you? Thanks!!

Hey Guys. I maidend my Laser last Sunday and all I can say is wow! What a great flying plane. I have a question for you experts though. I had to dead stick in 4 times. and she does it so gracefully! I get it to dead stick in the same maneuver every time. I nose down and start barrel rolling and as soon as I snap into a inverted flat spin the engine cuts out, same spot each time. So a little description on my set-up... I'm running a dle 35ra and it was the first time out brand new engine. never ran above 1/2 throttle that day. not sure of the break in procedure. I'm using a 16oz fortitude v2 tank from redwing. 3 fuel lines 1 is vent with a small loop on top of tank then out the bottom of plane. 2nd line is to my miracle fuel dot and 3rd to carb. I am aslo running 1 life battery to power both radio and ignition 6.6v I believe. Not using a regulator for engine. cm6 ngk plug. The plane will knife edge and fly inverted without dying just that maneuver it dies. The engine sounds great very happy with it. So if anyone has advice please coach me on this.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I'm guessing when you snap to inverted flat spin the throttle stick is at idle? You should consider an idle-up switch so the engine idles closer to 3000 rpms while flying. This will help it tolerate various tumbling moves a lot better.