• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice build! You may want to open it up just a tad more where the fins are on the da motor... But time will tell. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
That's about where I had my extra 330 fins at and the heat melted some small groves in. A little dremel work and they where gone and she looked perfect again.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Just like with most cowling jobs, you can use a piece of paper as a template. I taped the paper down, and cut out with an xacto knife the exhaust holes, folded it back, removed the exhaust, but the cowling on, marked the holes, removed the cowling and installed the exhaust... knowing that the cowling will have to be trimmed a little more for it to slip over the exhaust to get to its final destination - you'll have to trim as you go.

Cowling Inst 002.JPGCowling Inst 001.JPGCowling Inst 008.JPGCowling Inst 009.JPGCowling Inst 010.JPGCowling Inst 011.JPGCowling Inst 012.JPG

You can tell that I use the pencil to make guidlines to mark the center, and edges of the exhaust as I go. I find it helpful at least.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice build! You may want to open it up just a tad more where the fins are on the da motor... But time will tell. Thanks so much for sharing!!!

Yeah, I''ll open it up a bit more and add 1/8" foam sheeting to keep the air around the fins. I dont like getting too carried away with that until everything is routed and hooked up so I don't shoot myself in the foot! I did this foam method on my slick and it's working out great... time consuming though.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool! Can't wait to see it and please mention me so I can check it out! Interesting idea that I don't think I've seen yet.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
That's about where I had my extra 330 fins at and the heat melted some small groves in. A little dremel work and they where gone and she looked perfect again.

I am super surprised how well the DA35 nestles into this cowling. It honestly barely sticks out! Going to really have to create a better air channel for this bird, or just trust the 3:1 ratio is sucking the air through it ha!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Cool! Can't wait to see it and please mention me so I can check it out! Interesting idea that I don't think I've seen yet.

will do, I'll try and take some pics of the slick... so much harder with a single cylinder gasser. Other than scale looks, I haven't seen a whole lot of airframes that support the inverted single cyl when it comes to cooling properly.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well that's what it looks like protruding from the cowling. doesn't stick out much at all.
IMG_2528.JPG

That's all I have got for tonight. Hopefully be back at it soon!

Nice work!
+1

I like your idea of keeping the motor in a bag while cutting the cowl, very smart.

I too had separate cutouts for the exhaust tubes when I initially build mine. My motor was overheating (Florida in the summer, go figure!) so I ended up creating one large opening to improve cooling.

Attachments

• 20151214_173309_001.jpg
    20151214_173309_001.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 260
Last edited by a moderator: