• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

AJ Laser 230z 73" Build Thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Still working on the Cowling. Had to decide where to put the DA Ignition Box so I could orientate the lead and plug cap accordingly.
I came up with this, just like how it lays out, with the connections pointing up, and the ignition box LED will be visible through the cowling inlet.
IMG_2531.JPGIMG_2532.JPG

Then I got my pencil out, and cut with a dremel until I reached a point where the cowling would fit on.

Also opened up the cowling around the cooling fins a bit.

Eventually I'll open everything up a bit more, I just like to cut small first so I don't ruin a cowling.

IMG_2529.JPGIMG_2530.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2529.JPG
    IMG_2529.JPG
    820.9 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2530.JPG
    IMG_2530.JPG
    712.8 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_2531.JPG
    IMG_2531.JPG
    981.3 KB · Views: 310

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
[MENTION=4160]Casualplay[/MENTION]
I don't have a huge problem with overheating here in Alaska... :D

I like what you did there by opening it up by the exhaust tubes. I'm thinking about doing something like that as well. Did you block the tunnel or are you dumping the outlet air though it as well?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Mounted the DA Ignition Box.
Ended up using 4-40 allen head bolts with blind nuts installed with epoxy.

IMG_2533.JPGIMG_2534.JPGIMG_2537.JPG

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks Mike, I also really like DA's method for mounting the ignition bracket, makes so much sense. I wonder why they only went with three tabs instead of four?

I worked on the throttle and choke linkage for my DA35 today.
I'm disappointed with the premium DA engine. They should have planned the linkage a bit more.
A 4-40 socket head cap screw interfered with the engine stand off. So I used a pan head screw which clears with a washer.
m_DSC_5218.jpgm_DSC_5219.jpg

I tried several ideas for the choke but this is what I settled on.
I had a large XActo knife which donated some of it's handle.
Spinning it in my drill press and using a file I turned it down. (It was a long process.)
m_DSC_5220.jpgm_DSC_5221.jpgm_DSC_5222.jpgm_DSC_5223.jpg
(Pictured with the large Jtec muffler.)

It would have been nice if the engineers from DA could have designed this for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been tinkering with ideas lately as well. The choke control couldn't have been more poorly situated. I tried a little standoff like what you did, but it hit the engine mount. DA is using a Walbro carb, but they etched the numbers out so you cannot decipher the model... so it's not their design other than the fact that they used an aftermarket arm. I'm thinking about rotating it 180degrees and using a flexible linkage headed aft going out the side of the fuse.

I like what you did [MENTION=4324]tstrohscher[/MENTION] now all you need to figure out is a way to support the linkage!