• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AMA and Multirotors

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
The video isn't bad, but as produced is a Christmas one off. I have no idea how all of the people who bought a toy multi-rotor were supposed to know about this video. Did the AMA and it's two partners distribute stickers with the URL to all of the various retailers with a request to put it on the box

the groups that jointly produced the video have been working to get it or directions to it along with other printed materials into the packaging of these various products.

eventually, whether it's the FAA or by local ordinances, RC will be forced back to sanctioned fields and the AMA is probably being told (if I had to guess) to just sit and wait for the dust to settle. whenever you see mention of a "community based organization" that is the AMA and that is the acknowledgement that they are still involved and that they are still getting something for the recreational RC community. the AMA will probably say that their expenses have gone way up to deal with all of this and that they'll have no choice but to raise the yearly dues and contest fees and at that point we'll all have to make our own decision as to whether we want to continue participating as AMA members or not.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I figured that was how they were trying to get the info out , was to get it in the packaging of the products. They tried this a few years back, I think 2012, putting AMA info in the airhogs toys.

No reason for dues increase. AMA has reported membership increase for past 2 years.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
I figured that was how they were trying to get the info out , was to get it in the packaging of the products. They tried this a few years back, I think 2012, putting AMA info in the airhogs toys.

No reason for dues increase. AMA has reported membership increase for past 2 years.

You are correct. They are now advertising 170,000 as the number of members. This is up from 140,000 that was previously claimed.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
So Friday Kevin and I get home and were doing some work outside. Kevin hears something that he thought might be an rc car. turns out a couple of kids are flying a quad copter in the common area of the neighborhood, no big deal its out of the way. We live across from the common area on the corner separated by woods. Its a quite neighborhood lite traffic. So anyhow next thing we notice it this quad copter is way over the top of my house. hard to tell how high but way more than 400 ft. We watch and continue what we are doing. Next thing it is hovering in the middle of the intersection at about ten feet maybe a little less for a couple minutes. None of this was in there line of sight. We needed to finish what we were doing and than I was going to walk over and ask them about it. Where they got it? did anyone ever tell them about the AMA but didn't get a chance. They walked home before we could go over but I suspect they were 12 or 13 years old. When they were walking home we could see it was pretty good size multi rotor

I am sure we will see them again and hopefully we will get the chance to check it over and ask some questions.

By the way the reply I received from Bob Brown was the canned letter he posted online

Al

Last edited:

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Al,

I bet the day you announce the new RADIOWAVE Super Octo multi camera 3D precision flying nuke powered multi rotor you will get a call from AMA HQ wanting to have one to test and evaluate.

mlofgren

New to GSN!
The latest issue of "Progressive Farmer" had an attorney written article that interpreted possible regulation claiming a farmer could use a multicopter/drone to inspect his corn crop without any kind of permit but would need a pilot's license or perhaps even a commercial pilot's license if he sold that corn crop. Go figure!