• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AMA and Multirotors

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
The FAA could very well possibly ground all of us. The AMA needs to show the FAA that these "Drone" problems do not have anything to do with us.

Exactly, but they are trying to draw them in and hug them and call them George. My stance has been that of "yea, they are part of the hobby, don't really care". But now it is clearly visible that in the very near future (if not already) these things are going to be so plentiful it will be nearly impossible to regulate. I am extremely worried that we will be all grouped into the same pot regardless of what the AMA says or does.

I also feel extremely sorry for Famers, and people looking to use these as a tool to make or aide in a legitimate business with the use of "drone" copters.
Lets face it, quads are not that fun to fly at a fly field (and a bit of a PITA with airplanes if I may say so). You're always going to see 1000:1 not flying at an AMA field vs. those flying anywhere else on earth. Still at a loss as to what the AMA is planning to ensure the safety of the roots of the tree (hobby) so to speak? It is nowhere close to taking in gliders, heli's, 3D and all the other things that has been tackled in the past.

Spats

100cc
The guy flying it turned himself in this morning. He's looking at possible federal charges. Says he had no idea it was over the whitehouse property and he was using it for recreational purposes.

That's what makes these things so dangerous. Someone who is not capable of flying it, has no business flying it in a populated area and will kill someone very soon.

The problem with multi rotors (and I LOVE THEM) is that they work and work well. When smaller companies made and sold RC airplanes they usually sucked, or required more skill than the average schmuck could muster to do any damage with the thing.

Now any knob with $100 can have something that if they can figure out how to charge the battery will successfully go into the air. This is why they are in the media so much. When you allow the common schmuck to successfully fly something, you are going to see more of them.

The AMA has to do what they can to throw up flags saying “YO come here first”. But unfortunately as Tony pointed out, most of the new small Multi buyers could care less about the hobby or the AMA. They have no interest in a club they just heard about “drones” and wanted one.

Not sure what we can do as a hobby, except keep doing what we are doing. There is simply too much going on for anyone to ignore multi’s or not accept them. The sUAS industry is estimated to be at around $14.5 Billion dollars in the US by 2020. And wit5h that much money on the table, guess who is always going to win?

I’m working with an organization to hopefully request an exemption for my commercial operations, it’s a REAL PIA and there are 10,000 hoops to jump through... but guess who teh 6 companies who got exemptions work for... the MOVIE STUDIOS! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$ always wins. And 99% of the world could care less about $5000 airplanes.

So I’d say don’t get arrogant or mad, just keep flying safely at fields and events and do what everyone has done for 70 years.

Good points Sleepy. I would add that we as a modeling community need to do our own education with the public on the differences and frankly similarity with what I call traditional model aviation and the new technology such as quads and FPV. I have people who know me and the planes I fly, ask me the "drone" question all the time and I with great patience tell them the difference between autonomous drones, RC quad copters and RC planes. I do so without berating the individual about using the term "drone" but gently tell them the differences in all three. I particularly emphasize the AMA covered clubs and the pains most clubs do to provide a safe flying environment. I agree with some of the comments that the AMA sometimes looks "old" and the new tech is typically attracting a younger group. Not sure how to address this when my own club has its share of retired age individuals as do most clubs. I also agree that there are too many $$$$$$'s in the new quad model industry that the FAA suddenly "bans" there use. The concern, however, is that the long reach of the federal government will be involved at our flying fields even though congress has already acted with legislation saying otherwise. The current climate in Washington is ignore our constitutional principles and let the bureaucracies and some individuals make there own laws.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Good points Sleepy. I would add that we as a modeling community need to do our own education with the public on the differences and frankly similarity with what I call traditional model aviation and the new technology such as quads and FPV. I have people who know me and the planes I fly, ask me the "drone" question all the time and I with great patience tell them the difference between autonomous drones, RC quad copters and RC planes. I do so without berating the individual about using the term "drone" but gently tell them the differences in all three. I particularly emphasize the AMA covered clubs and the pains most clubs do to provide a safe flying environment. I agree with some of the comments that the AMA sometimes looks "old" and the new tech is typically attracting a younger group. Not sure how to address this when my own club has its share of retired age individuals as do most clubs. I also agree that there are too many $$$$$$'s in the new quad model industry that the FAA suddenly "bans" there use. The concern, however, is that the long reach of the federal government will be involved at our flying fields even though congress has already acted with legislation saying otherwise. The current climate in Washington is ignore our constitutional principles and let the bureaucracies and some individuals make there own laws.

Well written Bart

See this number that Sleepy provided ( $14.5 Billion dollars ) that's what AMA see's, you large scale "BOYS" don't generate that kinda $$$ so take a back seat.