• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AMA and Multirotors

SleepyC

150cc
Well as of today Jan 27th ONLY people with PPL have received exemptions. I was at a conference with an FAA rep and they said they intend to keep the PPL for commercial. That way the FAA has control of the people, If they can't pull the ticket if you mess up what power do they have?

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
Well as of today Jan 27th ONLY people with PPL have received exemptions. I was at a conference with an FAA rep and they said they intend to keep the PPL for commercial. That way the FAA has control of the people, If they can't pull the ticket if you mess up what power do they have?
All that is gonna do, is people will do it anyway and "go renegade"........ which leads us to where we are now........geeesh
75% of people exceed the speed limit at some portion of their daily drive..... how many get caught?

Morons will be morons.. this is fact.
There was a dumb gun show that aired on national TV where a dude wanted them to mount a machine gun on a drone and they ended up doing something like it... again.. MORONS.
Agreed on the Moron issue. Add our 24 hour news cycle and all sorts of misinformation ensues.

lxcoupe

30cc
This stuff gives me a headache.

How many "quad copters" have killed people?

When people, media, government, and even you folks right here discuss this issue. It sounds like hundreds of people have already lost their lives and we need to do something to stop it. I mean it sounds totally ridiculous. When you step back and look at the problem, I'm not so sure there is even a problem.

If the laws that are already on the books for this type of stuff were enforced. I.E. you damage someone else's property or cause bodily damage you will be held personally responsible.

There is a moron that gets into a car, drives to a bar, gets ripped, then drives home and kills someone everyday.

Cars are still legal, alcohol is still legal, and people can still be people. If the moron is caught, he gets charged with whatever crime and goes to jail.
So if everyone was as passionate about drinking and driving as some of you, the media, and government are about quad copters, we'd all have to blow into a tube to start our cars before we could go anywhere. Even though most of us (lets say 98%) are responsible and have never had too much to drink and then got behind the wheel.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty simple.

Separate hobby and Commercial and do the same for the equipment.

FPV:
Hobby GRADE FPV. .5W max (or what ever allows around a range of 750 feet.)
750 feet is fine for most FPV racing and "hobby interests"
Anything above that rating would need a commercial license. People caught using "non hobby" grade FPV equipment without a license face a hefty fine. (hence the morons causing issues in cities and such)

Commercial Grade FPV:
Distance/wattage to be assessed.
License required, and insurance requiered.

Multirotors:
Hobby Grade Multi's:
>2lbs AUW - no license.. unregulated except the normal hobby FAA/Common Sense rules.

Commercial Grade Multi's
<2 lbs - 55lbs
License required, and insurance requiered.

Over 55lbs needs to be specially approved by FAA.

Where's the info for fixed wing?

AMA and Multirotors

In a discussion on the same topic in the other Giant website several full scale pilots cited the danger of collision with these "drones" as justification for banning them from the national airspace. To the best of my knowledge no one has been killed yet by a collision with a multi-copter, and there have been only a few injuries due to contact with people on the ground. Every year you hear of a few people killed in their homes, or on a freeway, or just out at the beach, by full scale aircraft crashing on them.

If safety is really the issue it seems the finger is pointed the wrong direction.

Don't really think that facts will have much impact on the rulemaking and lawmaking going on, but just had to vent a little.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Sleepy & Bart,

I am playing devils advocate here. Remember we are friends and have been for a long time!!!

You have two websites one here and the other to Multi rotors. Why are they separate and not as one?

Al

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Sleepy & Bart,

I am playing devils advocate here. Remember we are friends and have been for a long time!!!

You have two websites one here and the other to Multi rotors. Why are they separate and not as one?

Al

Al,

I started MultiRotorForums.com four years ago when I started flying multi-rotor helicopters because the community at that point was scattered all over the place and it was hard to find information when getting started.

Sleepy got fired from FG in July and we had become friends because he was over at MRF trying to learn about multi's so he could use them when doing event coverage for FG.

We spoke the afternoon that he was let go from FG and I offered to get a new site set up if he wanted to run it with me so here we are. We considered making one site an offshoot of the other but mixing up the two communities didn't make sense since they are soooooo different, hence two separate sites.

Same with FoamieWorld.com although I've been thinking about finding a way to make it an offshoot of GiantScaleNews.com since there are so many people that do both.

That's it, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. We've been told that Sleepy's former employers have tried to paint Sleepy as someone that was conspiring for a long time before he was let go to have a site like this but that is an outright lie. This site was conceived, the domain name was bought, and the software was installed in the days after Sleepy was let go. I just happened to be available to get involved because I stopped operating my aerial media company a few months earlier.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have.
Bart

sweetpea

100cc
Sleepy-

Turbines can be bought by anyone. Remember AMA rules are only for INSURANCE, nothing else. With that insurance comes events and fields you can fly at because you have insurance. AMA lobby's the government based on membership. A key to that is insurance if something bad happens (lawyers like to know there is guaranteed money and almost all of Congress is Lawyers).

I am indifferent on Quads and the like. They are neat but so easy to fly that people who have no business flying are using them and doing so incorrectly or trying to get a "video shot". I do think the AMA must distance R/C from Quads. Lumping us in with them is not going to be good. I can see a R/C law being if you are not at an AMA chartered field you can be tickted. And then it will go further and state you must be on the R/C property. And then further, to prove it, we must all have telemetry recording....then to go further, we must have a license and training and checkrides from Gov't officials....insurance prices will rise. This is where we are headed!

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
Bart,

The point was that they are different and I think you guys are right to do that. At least that what I learned in marketing!! LOL

Thanks
Al