• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

AMA and Multirotors

SleepyC

150cc
@sleepy,

That whole commercial vs light commercial distinction...

Is that something you thought up or is there something on the FAA's radar regarding that?

I never even thought about the possibility of rigs larger than 40, much less 55, lbs.

When looking at the FAA's moves in that context, it makes much more sense.

But, yeah, the light commercial uses may be a bird of a different feather.

On no it's legit, when I have time I'll find it.
It may be what the AMA defined them as though not the FAA.
But the AMA only wanted to deal with "Light Commercial".

Funny enough one of my large rigs fully loaded is hitting the 45lb mark so... :D

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I just wonder why the FAA would not categorize light commercial under civil aviation rules and leave model aircraft completely out.
I have to believe the "fear" of weapons is truly the underlying cause. The drug runners and idiots in the past that used conventional RC as potential guided weapons and delivery systems has got this attention IMO.

In passing we may note that the AMA has committed $250,000 to this "education campaign". Those funds are unlikely to be covered by a sudden mass joining in the AMA by a community that for the most part does not know or care about our existence...it will end up being covered by us, the more traditional model aircraft pilot.

AMA brings in about 800k from memberships. There's no way the people they are trying to regulate (non-members not flying at fields) are: A. going to join B. even hear about AMA with a $250,000 advertising budget.

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
And the AMA, by embracing these activities is making sure we cannot dissociate ourselves from it; it make us defenseless against the "wide brushing"!

In passing we may note that the AMA has committed $250,000 to this "education campaign". Those funds are unlikely to be covered by a sudden mass joining in the AMA by a community that for the most part does not know or care about our existence...it will end up being covered by us, the more traditional model aircraft pilot.

@Islandflyer here is how they are going to pay that 1/4 mill for the small UAS program

The CFO offered the following as something to think about and discuss with their district membership. When AMA has to spend money on attorney fees and government regulation issues that is additional pressures we have not had in the past. We look for every opportunity to maximize dollars, and bring money in from any source we can. At some point we are going to have to discuss raising dues; that has not happened for 17 years. Right now, based upon what is going on in the community and the value our members are seeing from what we are doing, we have a right to ask for additional funds. If AMA took into account only inflation over the past 17 years, dues should be $75. This is not a decision to be made lightly. Council was asked to canvas their members about how they feel about having to raise money to help with AMA programs and support. When Council meets in October there will be a discussion on this. Nothing could happen for 2015, it would be 2016 at the earliest.

The President asked Council to give him their ideas on a Management Plan for beyond 2015. Council must begin developing this in 2015.

I "REALLY" like this QUOTE: bring money in from any source we can

I wonder what the new PR firm is going to cost us?

I just wonder why the FAA would not categorize light commercial under civil aviation rules and leave model aircraft completely out.
I have to believe the "fear" of weapons is truly the underlying cause. The drug runners and idiots in the past that used conventional RC as potential guided weapons and delivery systems has got this attention IMO.

It's not FAA, it's AMA including "Light" Commercial with us, which with my research it's looks to be Firefighting, Agriculture, Missing person ect., all of which are great causes, but do not fall anywhere near "HOBBY RELATED"

The response from Bob to Mr. Obama, has gotten my attention also in which he states "QUOTE" AMA believes, as do most in the model aviation community, that these new enthusiasts want to operate safely and responsibly. I "MUSTA" missed that particular AMA memo asking my opinion on this.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
@Islandflyer here is how they are going to pay that 1/4 mill for the small UAS program

The CFO offered the following as something to think about and discuss with their district membership. When AMA has to spend money on attorney fees and government regulation issues that is additional pressures we have not had in the past. We look for every opportunity to maximize dollars, and bring money in from any source we can. At some point we are going to have to discuss raising dues; that has not happened for 17 years. Right now, based upon what is going on in the community and the value our members are seeing from what we are doing, we have a right to ask for additional funds. If AMA took into account only inflation over the past 17 years, dues should be $75. This is not a decision to be made lightly. Council was asked to canvas their members about how they feel about having to raise money to help with AMA programs and support. When Council meets in October there will be a discussion on this. Nothing could happen for 2015, it would be 2016 at the earliest.

The President asked Council to give him their ideas on a Management Plan for beyond 2015. Council must begin developing this in 2015.

I "REALLY" like this QUOTE: bring money in from any source we can

I wonder what the new PR firm is going to cost us?

It's not FAA, it's AMA including "Light" Commercial with us, which with my research it's looks to be Firefighting, Agriculture, Missing person ect., all of which are great causes, but do not fall anywhere near "HOBBY RELATED"

The response from Bob to Mr. Obama, has gotten my attention also in which he states "QUOTE" AMA believes, as do most in the model aviation community, that these new enthusiasts want to operate safely and responsibly. I "MUSTA" missed that particular AMA memo asking my opinion on this.

Ok I was just confused. Now I am really confused or is it that AMA wants to be recognized as a full blown "lobbyist" organization? and promote SUAV operations in the light commercial arena? Me bird brain or AMA bird brain? Government agencies and the military have used RC for several several years and they don't join AMA. Posse Comitatus!

I just had a snickers and am going back to being a confused old man.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
Don't be surprised if the current leadership, in executive council, votes to change the name to: ACADEMY OF MULTI ROTOR AERONAUTICS.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Don't be surprised if the current leadership, in executive council, votes to change the name to: ACADEMY OF MULTI ROTOR AERONAUTICS.

IMO I think your are making a valid point that the AMA is not so much being "forced" but rather riding along.
Multi rotor for fun and profit is getting taxed like it or not. So the rest of us will pay as well. What where those certainties in life???
Oh yea, DEATH and TAXES. Make them get a LISCENSE! Record Them for the greater good. Oh great Obama pump me sunshine I will pay!.

RJ 706

70cc twin V2
" At some point we are going to have to discuss raising dues; that has not happened for 17 years. Right now, based upon what is going on in the community and the value our members are seeing from what we are doing, we have a right to ask for additional funds. If AMA took into account only inflation over the past 17 years, dues should be $75."

They will be asking us to pay for their frivolous allocation of 250,000.00

mndless

Don't know a thing..
Put on my conspiracy hat... but, I would not be surprised to learn the AMA is banking on, almost hoping for, increased regulation that mandates AMA participation from all these currently non-member drone pilots..... it sure has that feel...