• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! Anyone own the 104" AJ Slick?

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I would pull the trigger on a nice four stroke like the Valach if they would build it with an induction system going through the crank case. Would not need that oil catch and performance would increase 10 fold :)

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
As with any motor there are idiosyncrasies, once fully tuned there is not much oil. But yea, initially it is a pain but one I am more than willing to deal with for what I get with the engine. As for performance, I don't think it could perform any better.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Power and throttle response would be better. Sorta like the 2cycle twins in that aspect. YS has been doing it for about 50 years now but only did a 120 prototype twin. Not saying it does not perform well "as is" just saying it could be "Supercharged" basically and be a real beast of an engine. I see a lot of these extremely expensive engines (Moki, Valach, Kholm, Roto etc...) have generally good performance but all their induction systems are lack luster. OS finally got a radial right by adding a "supercharging" impeller on their seven cylinder radial. But hey....I am just talking shop with ya bro. Your plane is looking mighty fancy and I am really looking forward to a flight report :way_to_go:.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have been entertaining the idea, on the well broke in 170, of routing the line to the intake and let the engine burn it off being as little as it is now. I understand what your saying but there must be some reason for doing it the way they do, could be cost prohibitive being these engines are not cheap to begin with. I do agree, it would be real nice not having to deal with it at all.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
If I understand the discussion correctly you are discussing the bleed of oil from the crankcase. If you are you do not want to feed this back into an engine it loaded with contamination that is why it is black etc. It is only feed back into cars to meet pollution control standards.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
If I understand the discussion correctly you are discussing the bleed of oil from the crankcase. If you are you do not want to feed this back into an engine it loaded with contamination that is why it is black etc. It is only feed back into cars to meet pollution control standards.
Excellent point, not such a good idea.....

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I guess the prop drilling will have to wait a bit longer. I ordered a 10mm bit to drill the center with before drilling the prop bolts. It came today but is not a true 10mm, it measured 9.94. And though I know that is not much difference trying to slide 9.994 on a 10mm shaft does not bode well. I use to use a friends bit but he is now 2 hours away. Uhhhh….:frown:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I guess the prop drilling will have to wait a bit longer. I ordered a 10mm bit to drill the center with before drilling the prop bolts. It came today but is not a true 10mm, it measured 9.94. And though I know that is not much difference trying to slide 9.994 on a 10mm shaft does not bode well. I use to use a friends bit but he is now 2 hours away. Uhhhh….:frown:
Why do you not keep the drill and buy a reamer 10 mm. That will give you the best result.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't understand "keep the drill" and what is a reamer? I thought drilling a hole through a 1-1/2" thick prop hub was the job of a drill bit? I am all up for better so please explain....

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Never mind, went looking on McMasterCarr. And here I thought 8 bucks was a bit for a bit, the reamer is $26, but if it will do the job better I'll get one.