• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help! Anyone own the 104" AJ Slick?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I don't understand "keep the drill" and what is a reamer? I though drilling a hole through a 1-1/2" thick prop hub was the job of a drill bit? I am all up for better so please explain....
Ok if you want to end up with a perfectly round hole and dead nuts on 10mm diameter you do the following. Drill the hole with a standard drill just under 10mm I would say 9.75mm would be good. Then take 10mm diameter reamer and drill it Agan with the reamer you end with round hole 10mm in diameter. A drill with only 2 flutes is never round it is always egg shaped. Just hang on a bit I will go down to the workshop and take a picture of the 2.
B9832B03-68BB-40EC-80B6-F15BC4EA5428.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Never mind, went looking on McMasterCarr. And here I thought 8 bucks was a bit for a bit, the reamer is $26, but if it will do the job better I'll get one.
You got it you will be happy. But keep it wrapped up or in some kind of tube to keep it sharp. Make sure it has at least 5 cutting edges on the perimeter.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Had to go look at the one I just ordered but it has 6 flutes. The prop is already drilled but not for the 10mm of a Valach shaft, it will thread on but come to a stop at the unthreaded portion. I don't know how much difference there is, not much, but just enough to not fit. The flute should work out real well and seeing them I may one day order an entire set, standard and metric, as we are always having to open up a hole in something.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok, "ouch", maybe buying sets is not such a good idea. No discount to buy a set versus buying a piece, to have a set of both would be nearly $600. But I won't say never as never come's real quick, ha, I remember not to long ago I said never to anything over a 60"ws. I blew by that so quick I did not even see it go.
I also said I'd never need anything larger than the DLE 55, ha, I don't have anything that small anymore. Not counting the broken winged profile.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just get the tools to drill and ream 10mm, 8mm, 5mm and 4mm. What's the Valach's prop bolt pattern? Have a drill guide for it?

Props that have all their holes drilled and reamed and drill guide used are Awesome :).

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok, "ouch", maybe buying sets is not such a good idea. No discount to buy a set versus buying a piece, to have a set of both would be nearly $600. But I won't say never as never come's real quick, ha, I remember not to long ago I said never to anything over a 60"ws. I blew by that so quick I did not even see it go.
I also said I'd never need anything larger than the DLE 55, ha, I don't have anything that small anymore. Not counting the broken winged profile.
Just buy one at a time as you need buying full sets are very expensive and not necessary.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Just get the tools to drill and ream 10mm, 8mm, 5mm and 4mm. What's the Valach's prop bolt pattern? Have a drill guide for it?

Props that have all their holes drilled and reamed and drill guide used are Awesome :).
I have the prop drill guides and sometime I'll probably get the reaming sets.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Just buy one at a time as you need buying full sets are very expensive and not necessary.
You haven't seen the boxes screws and bolts I have, when scratch building just about everything up to 3/8" get's used. And many times, too many, I have sat with a dowel wrapped with sandpaper getting a hole just so. Wing tube guides are a good example, one can only do so much with a standard drill bit, and wood bits don't work well on balsa. So drilling out one or two sizes smaller then using a reamer to finish off with sounds real good.

Last edited:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
The reamer came, man what a difference the right tool makes. Just wish the last two items, bonded washers and baffles, would hurry up and get here. I need to start dismantling this half of the shop so it can be moved and butted up to the other (new) half. And once I start that everything will be on hold as in packed, stacked, and no power.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
The reamer came, man what a difference the right tool makes. Just wish the last two items, bonded washers and baffles, would hurry up and get here. I need to start dismantling this half of the shop so it can be moved and butted up to the other (new) half. And once I start that everything will be on hold as in packed, stacked, and no power.

Sounds like you doing yourself one of those awesome shops. So..... "If you build it...I will come" :yesss: and take your planes :devil-dance:.