• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Assembly: EF 110" Yak-54 V2

Joe Hunt

150cc
Another perfect evening at the field with no flies and no guys. haha 80 flights on the DLE-170 and although it was quite strong out of the box, it is a real powerhouse now. Original eight 9380s I got have over 200 flights on them now and still performing like they're brand new. And, still my all time favorite plane to fly, even though it actually doesn't "fly" very well. haha One of the guys at the field crashed his 2nd plane on a powerbox engine kill. Not sure why he tried it a second time. I don't know anything about them, whether they are great or not, but my IBECs from techaero have been flawless.

Attachments

• 20160713_200046.jpg
    20160713_200046.jpg
    536.3 KB · Views: 391
I'm starting to dig the non-traditional engines. I just bought a EME 70 to replace my problem child DA 60, I actually got my Brillelli 60cc running again last night, and I'm now leaning towards a DLE 170 or GP 176 EVO for my Dalton. May still go DA but if I did, it would probably be the 150L instead of the 170.

I have to find time to actually work on the Dalton first...

Attachments

• 20160713_203223.jpg
    20160713_203223.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 337

Joe Hunt

150cc
I know, right? I wouldn't have believed it when I got back last year. I was still thinking 3W CS was cream of the crop like the old days. And, they still are the highest quality to me. But, power to weight, the DLE beats all the other 170cc motors. And, at half the cost of the DA and 3W. A couple of things have gotten better for us since I was gone and this is one of them. I wouldn't have even considered it if it wasn't for @Tavis. He said once his DLE-170 got the new reeds it was almost as strong as his 180cc class engine. And, smooth. Says he's keeping his DLE for sure. Also, GP, I wouldn't have considered it but again @Tavis says stronger and smoother than a DA-120. Supposed to have the bugs worked out now, and they're saying they do on the GP-176 now too. We'll see. Even the brand new BE engines 124 looks great in the flying videos that are posted of it. Getting to be like TV, stereo, and computer components... where brand loyalty is not the way to go. With those you have to stay with whoever is on top of the game at the moment. :)

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
But what do you think of the ZDZ180?

I flew a 40% Pilot 330SC with one last weekend and couldn't believe how crisp and powerful that engine was, yanked that big airplane around like it was light as a feather.

Joe Hunt

150cc
The ZDZ-180 was the most impressive motor I ever ran... for about 40 flights. It either came with, or developed a problem. @Tavis 's and @Spats have not had the same problem and both have over 100 flights on theirs. Eventually I might try another one to see if I just got a bad one. The ZDZ-180 is like an old hand picked 3W 150QS but on steroids. I just don't know if they have an inherent problem or if I just got unlucky with the one I received. ZDZUSA did not offer a replacement but did offer a full refund, so I took him up on that as I did not trust that particular engine. And, because of that one engine I still don't trust the ZDZ-180. That might have just been an isolated case, but how am I to know that? I have what I call the dreaded "ye ol' experience of one." Most of the time we're making our decisions based on one experience, because there just isn't the time and money in this hobby to setup scientific testing. I have to say, though, that my DLE-170 for half the price just honks my plane around like there's no tomorrow, so there's no real urgency about replacing it with a motor I'm unsure of. My ZDZ-180 was a linear, quality feeling, ridiculously powerful motor, though. I miss it, but I don't trust it. :)