• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Balance Stands

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Something I have not seen is any kind of information on balancing stands. I built my son and I a set of these stands a couple of years ago. I figured at the time, they would serve their purpose well for what we were flying at the time. It so turns out that I built them a little larger in anticipated expectations of larger and heavier planes. As it turned out, they are working quite nicely for all the recent additions we have been building. Including the 40% plus planes.

What's everyone else using?
20150117_233359.jpg
20150117_233500.jpg

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
I just been using my fingers. There is such a wide range of CG on these planes, get her close, fly, move batteries around till you get her where you like.

WMcNabb

150cc
What's the advantage of a balance stand versus weighing all three wheels of a leveled airframe as full scale aircraft are done?

Perhaps because c.g. needs to be close before fine tuning is done after actual flights?

Hawkes_Final_Assy_7_Page_02.jpg Hawkes_Final_Assy_7_Page_04.jpg Hawkes_Final_Assy_7_Page_01.jpg Hawkes_Final_Assy_7_Page_06.jpg

Last edited:

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
What's the advantage of a balance stand versus weighing all three wheels of a leveled airframe as full scale aircraft are done?

Perhaps because c.g. needs to be close before fine tuning is done after actual flights?

View attachment 9075 View attachment 9076 View attachment 9077 View attachment 9078
Most people do not have 3 gram scales. I have always been intrigued with this method but do not know how to break down the weights and determine the CG location. If you do this please share more.

Here's a link that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about finding the cg of an airplane. It will make your head spin...
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aircraft/media/faa-h-8083-1a.pdf

This link is much easier to follow but still makes a balance stand look like a darn good idea, or two fingers....
http://www.ascentgroundschool.com/i...etermining-the-empty-weight-center-of-gravity

This forum kind of freaks me out. I started building my own version of an easy balancer this morning and the first post on here today is this one. Great minds think alike?