• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport Beautifying the Beast

Madinpensacola

70cc twin V2
BOTTOM HATCHES

As I am going to be putting the Valach 4 stroke engine onto this airframe, I do not have to use the bottom hatches for either a canister or pipes.

I also plan on using a much more simplified way to attach the lower wing, so having access to the back hatch is not necessary.

I made from 1/16 inch birch plywood two hatches that go over these areas so that they will remain clean, yet I am able to get inside if needed to get at my wiring.

I saw one Beast last summer that after a year of flying was very dirty inside these hatch areas, these open areas also produce a lot of drag (although that might not be important for this plane).

As the front hatch will house the carb of the Valach (pictures to come) I fuel proofed this area in case of the carb wants to spit out fuel. I also added some aluminum louvers to help remove some of the heat from the engine that will migrate back here.

View attachment 42672 View attachment 42673 View attachment 42674 View attachment 42675
How do you secure the four wing bolts with hatches on the bottom? :geek:

"How do you secure the four wing bolts with hatches on the bottom?"

I am not going to use the four wing bolts that go on from the inside.

I'll post my solution in a bit. But the idea is used on wings and stabs on a lot of large airplanes.

M

Matt

"How do you secure the four wing bolts with hatches on the bottom?"

I am not going to use the four wing bolts that go on from the inside.

I'll post my solution in a bit. But the idea is used on wings and stabs on a lot of large airplanes.
my guess is just a single bolt through the top of the wing tube... works great, all it has to do is keep the wing from sliding

FUEL TANK INSTALLATION

I am using a 1 liter Fuji Water Bottle with fittings I got from Thunderbolt RC. To make it easy to remove the tank quickly I use quick release fixtures for the vent line and the line going to the carb. On the carb quick release I use the one that has an automatic shut off so no residual gas can leak out if I pull the tank out with any gas in it.

I always use Viton rubber tubing for the pick up line as this material is not affected by gasoline and will never harden. The rest of the lines are regular Tygon tubing.

To hold the tank in place, I built a simple cradle using lightweight 1/2 inch triangle stock. I then attached a 3M Velcro strip to the tank floor and the mating part to the bottom of the tank. With the Velcro strap going over the tank I now have two independent methods holding the tank in place. The Velcro also acts as a dampener similar to foam padding.

MOUNT.JPG PLUMBED.JPG VELCRO MOUNT.JPG TANK IN PLACE.JPG

reyn3545

100cc
Where do you find those fittings? My powered gas can and fueler fitting uses them, and I'd like to pick up some spares.

:cryin::cryin:
I got a pick up a few of ghost for my Krill. :fist_pump:

Yes on my Krill 330sc those quick releases made it so much easier for me. I had to make the assembly so that I could remove the twin gas tank holder so that I could get my hands in the front of the plane to attach the batteries.

I stole your idea and am now doing a hinged canopy. I don't know if I should thank you or curse you! It's a lot more work than I anticipated.:cryin: