• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Become A Model Aviation Mentor. Help Others In Our Sport!

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
We all love model aviation no matter what the form. Some like airplanes, some helis, others like multirotors, or RC cars and boats. No matter what you like to do, or if you like all of them in one form or another, we all had to learn that skill at one time. We were not born with knowing how to fly model aircraft or know how to build a foam or balsa plane.

I have come up with an idea that will make it easier to help others in this hobby. The idea is quite simple and it uses an online map program that is available to everyone.

This idea is great for AMA members because as you know, some folks may be intimidated by showing up at your local club unannounced and they may feel uncomfortable by all the people with expensive planes. This offers the AMA member a way to meet newcomers to the hobby and introduce them in a "non-threatening" atmosphere.

If you would like to volunteer to be a Model Aviation Mentor, just post in this thread and I can add you to our map. Your contact info can be anything you would like. I can link your blog page, or use a telephone number, or your email address. Anyone looking at the map will not know your exact location or address, they will just know what town you are in or what section of the city or county you are located in.

MA Mentors can volunteer to do many things. They can teach others how to fly, build airplanes, or helis, or quadcopters or whatever you choose. Forums are great, but they lack the personal one on one ability and real time interaction that we get working with people face to face. And as you know, looking at a PC screen is no substitute for a real person.

Here is a link to our map page: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=217789731333754300750.0004d59fa6f42a3de34bc

If you have any questions, feel free to post in this thread or the other one linked above. And thank you in advance for wanting help others in our sport.

Frank

SnowDog

Frank,
This is a fabulous idea. Count me in!
-Mike

Feel free to link to my blog page.

Mike Schulz
Instructor pilot for our club; willing to help anyone learn to fly via buddy box.
Willing to help with builds of ARFs and kits as well.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Every now and then I come up with a good one. :)

Thanks for volunteering Mike! I (we) appreciate it. I have added you on our map.

Frank

Anthony7820

70cc twin V2
Put me down also, for whatever (building planes/helicopters, test flying new models, flying lessons, tips on flying) :rolleyes:

Anthony Donzella
Wheeling,WV (Hillhoppers Flying club)
President of the local club (Hillhoppers Flying club),been in the hobby for 15 years, team 3DRCF, and promoting aviation at local schools:thumbup:

Link to my blog: http://www.3drcforums.com/member.php?64-Anthony7820

Last edited by a moderator:

quadracer

100cc
Does one have to be a member of a chartered club for this? I was a member at ERCMAC in Evansville, but I let it lapse since I only flew there 2 or 3 times last summer. At any rate, I'm in Derby, IN 47525, if you want to add me to the list. I've built several planes (ARFs) and a 600 heli. I also have a DX8 and DX6i I can use for a buddy box if necessary.

njswede

150cc
Well, I'm by no means a seasoned expert like you, Frank. But if someone needs help getting their first plane in the air or pointers on how to put together an ARF, I can certainly help out!

Pontus Rydin
Club 1: Somerset Signal Senders (Bridgewater, NJ)
Club 2: GCA (Washington, NJ)
Blog: http://www.3drcforums.com/blog.php?109-NJSwede

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Put me down also, for whatever (building planes/helicopters, test flying new models, flying lessons, tips on flying) :rolleyes:

Anthony Donzella
Wheeling,WV (Hillhoppers Flying club)
President of the local club (Hillhoppers Flying club),been in the hobby for 15 years, team 3DRCF, and promoting aviation at local schools:thumbup:

Link to my blog: http://www.3drcforums.com/member.php?64-Anthony7820

Awesome! Thanks Anthony. I have added you to our map.

Frank