• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Become A Model Aviation Mentor. Help Others In Our Sport!

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
What an awesome stat Frank... Happy to be a part of all this!

I think generally this community "gets" that youth grow and sustain the hobby, paying it forward is a good motto and being flexible to student needs rather than stuffing "the way we always have done it" down their throats. In short a great, fun and giving group open to new ideas. Great job ALL!

Thank you guys and thanks for providing a forum for us to hang out at and share ideas and learn from each other. Some may question my statement, but it is easy to see. I am actively looking for volunteers on three forums; RCG, Wattflyer, and here. WF has just under 50,000 members, RCG has 10 times that, and 3DRC has a little over 1,600. Skim this thread and you can easily see how many 3DRC members have volunteered to help others. If you use these numbers and extrapolate for the other forums, I should be filling the map up with volunteers from all over the world. But sadly, that isn't happening.

I know people are scared to get away from the safety of their PC screens and meet strangers, but helping others learn in our sport is what we do. Or at least what we should be doing. I am glad the members here "get it" and are willing to help pay it forward. Now if I can just make the users on those others forums understand that, there would be a lot of people making new friends out there and learning a great hobby.

Frank

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Thank you guys and thanks for providing a forum for us to hang out at and share ideas and learn from each other. Some may question my statement, but it is easy to see. I am actively looking for volunteers on three forums; RCG, Wattflyer, and here. WF has just under 50,000 members, RCG has 10 times that, and 3DRC has a little over 1,600. Skim this thread and you can easily see how many 3DRC members have volunteered to help others. If you use these numbers and extrapolate for the other forums, I should be filling the map up with volunteers from all over the world. But sadly, that isn't happening.

I know people are scared to get away from the safety of their PC screens and meet strangers, but helping others learn in our sport is what we do. Or at least what we should be doing. I am glad the members here "get it" and are willing to help pay it forward. Now if I can just make the users on those others forums understand that, there would be a lot of people making new friends out there and learning a great hobby.

Frank

Well said Frank and not to trash on other forums but one of the motivators for this forum was to get more into the hobby/ sport and more distance from the drama and soap boxes. Unfortunately that's a side effect of an "unseen" non face to face form of media. I won't say I've never fallen victim to the "urge to purge" but generally I try to say on the forums what I would say in person. The lack of volunteerism is puzzling and I'm sure frustrating. Our clubs have the same microcosm as seen on the forums. We are fortunate in the northeast to have a pretty helpful "core" group that gives of time, talent and treasure to help promote the hobby.
Keep up the good work and keep the faith Frank. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Sometimes it is hard to do so. You can put so much effort into helping others and sometimes wonder if it is ever worth it to be honest. Probably the same feeling as running this forum I suspect. I know it must be tons of work, and I wonder if people really appreciate the effort it takes and bothers to thank those who make it happen?

Yup, sometimes after all these years of promoting model aviation, it does make me wonder if the hard work, time and money invested is worth it.

Frank

Lojik

70cc twin V2
Sometimes it is hard to do so. You can put so much effort into helping others and sometimes wonder if it is ever worth it to be honest. Probably the same feeling as running this forum I suspect. I know it must be tons of work, and I wonder if people really appreciate the effort it takes and bothers to thank those who make it happen?

Yup, sometimes after all these years of promoting model aviation, it does make me wonder if the hard work, time and money invested is worth it.

Frank

I've been helping people get into the hobby since I was confident enough to teach them, out of probably 20 or so people I have taught to fly only a handful I think 3 thanked me for my time and have continued to fly and enjoy themselves

BUT

I am really happy I helped, it just takes one person to be grateful for the hard work and it worth it imo, made some really good friends in this hobby and without the help most of us give out I know I wouldn't be where I am today, and if passing that on means I bare it on the shoulders for most then so be it

3dNater

I think lots of people are unwilling simply due to what they have on their plate. I have helped ppl out quite a bit... often pretty free with my equipment etc and time helping ppl to learn. Right now I don't have much to offer due to work related constraints. I hope those in my current position will feel a desire in their heart and say to themselves, "I wish I could help but I just can't right now." Those types will be volunteering in the future as their position in life changes.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I liked to think so, but I have spoke to a number of folks that have been volunteering their time, money and energy to helping others and promoting the hobby in various degrees. We all agree that the landscape of the hobby is changing.

I have spent thousands of dollars of hard earned money in the effort of promoting model aviation and in specifically building balsa airplanes. I get a few people interested but that is about it. Too many people simply want to buy their planes in the morning and fly them in the afternoon. With today's technology it is easy to do. You don't even have to know how to fly. Electronics do it for you.

The new technology is bringing more people into the hobby, and that is good, but it is bringing a different "breed" of people into it. They seem more self-centered and greedy. They seem to think it is all about them and see little need to assist or help others. People have little patience these days and want everything "right now." It truly is a different world we live in. I can't say it happened overnight but it does seem like the last 5 years or so has made it even more pronounced.

Frank

3dNater

I get your point Frank. I think you are right about that and what your experience is showing. It really is tough to get people interested. Kind of weird to me... I wanted to do it since I was a little kid. Now kids would rather hold an Xbox controller than a transmitter. It is an uphill fight but worth fighting for the few that "get it."

dth7

It certainly is an uphill battle. The hobby itself has more obstacles and competition for time with the kids. Yes, building is becoming a lost art but many of the kids are quite adept at learning (often through trial and error) repairing, hence building techniques on various materials from foam to carbon fiber. They may want to get into it fast and go but if they get over that first hump of "disposable" planes they seem to learn a better respect for the value of that investment. Again I'm fortunate in my area here in the northeast to have a great group of young, talented pilots really willing to give back. Another school year has started and I'll likely be doing more after school enrichment programs so we'll see how that goes. Frank, you've made a significant contribution of time and dollars but please don't give up. If you influence just one kid and it sticks that kid will eventually influence another and so on. The willingness to give is where giving back begins and I still see that willingness in the hobby.

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Thanks for the pep talk fellas. Here is another candid comment. The young adults and teenagers I have introduced MA to have been amazed by it. They would love to get more involved in it, but their parents don't allow them to follow up on wanting to learn. I have trained a lot of people how to fly and mostly they have been middle aged folks and only one father and son. The son was around 14 I YO. He was a fast learner and it was great to train someone that really wanted to learn as much as you could teach. I miss that kind of attitude.

Like I mentioned, guys (and Dads) in their 20s and 30s seem to want instant satisfaction. When they ask me about the planes I am flying, I tell them it is a balsa kit and takes about two weeks from start to finish to build. They are immediately put off. I tell them they can buy a plane and radio from the LHS and go flying that same day as well and explain the benefits and disadvantages of going that route. I guess there is something about wanting something right away, but to really appreciate something you need to work at it to truly understand its value.

I have recently contacted my local AVP to see if we can start some modeling programs for folks of all ages in my local area. I think using today's social media and some motivated people interested in promoting MA, we should be able to showcase our hobby to a lot of newcomers and show them what a wonderful hobby this is.

Frank