• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D BH Design 50% Edge 540

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey @stangflyer,
Aren't you done with this thing yet? Geez, I thought I was slow...................:lol2:
J/K Buddy.
I know right? Actually, there has been a huge change in decisions and making some modifications. Not drastic, just a little more accommodating for what I am wanting with this big bird. It was a challenge I was hit with. I wanted to keep it under wraps until I did the calculations and such. But I will go so far as to say, from everything I have read, watched and learned about the Hempel Edge, most everyone is bringing them in around 68 to 70 pounds. Some (not many) have hit the 63 pound mark. As it stands, with "EVERYTHING" minus motor and ignition modules, I am sitting at 41 pounds and 14 ounces. My plan is to bring it in "WET" at under 55. Can it be done? I am really wanting to succeed at this. Guess we'll see.

Thank you for keeping an eye open on this. :way_to_go:

More to come......

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ok here we go. I am going to let the cat fully outta the bag. I really wanted to do this Hemp the right way and after a lot of thinking, a lot of research and a whole lot of contemplating, I have ultimately come to my final decisions. I wanted to do something a little different than has been done in the past and many factors played into this decision. First, the GP 176 is a complete animal for power with the Planebender smooth pipes. Really more than the Sukhoi needs. Or at least what I like. I've been watching a number of videos of the GP Evo 176 on the front of 50 plus pound Bipes and it moves them along pretty well. Considering the size of those beasts. At present, the GP is in the Sukhoi and the rest of the setup is Hitec HS7950's throughout. After 57 flights on the 260, (which out weighs the Sukhoi by a pound) the HS 7954's are doing an awesome job. Two on each Aileron, one each Elevator and two 7980's on the rudder. BH recommends 278 ounces for each aileron and 192 ounces for each elevator. Total for suggested aileron being 834 ounces. Total for Elevators is 384 ounces. Since the Hitec HS 7954SH's are rated at 403 ounces each, that will give me 1209 ounces for each aileron and 806 ounces for each elevator. Both being "WELL" above the recommended torque values. As for the rudder, Since there is no recommended torque values for the rudder, I can only assume the original setup of JR 8711's were plenty. Since I will be using Hitec servos, my plan will be to use two HS 7980's for the rudder push/pull configuration. Less than the four servo setup, but two factors play into this decision. Keeping the weight down and balancing issues. I am told by many the BH Edge has a tendency to be nose heavy. "Real nose heavy". By removing 10 pounds off the front by not using the 3W 275 and using the GP 176, which comes in at a whopping 10.5 pounds with the smooth pipes, I should be able to use only two rudder servos with confidence. Realizing that the size of the rudder is not the only factor to consider, but the overall weight of the plane as well.

At present the BH Edge weighs in at 41 lbs., 14 ounces. Adding the 10.5 pounds for the GP 176, this "SHOULD" bring it in dry at 52 lbs., 6 oz. I believe I can still shave a little more weight in the motor box area with the reduced weight of the 176. As for the rest of the setup on the Hemple Edge, I will do a similar setup as I did on the Sukhoi, the 260 and the PAU. Servos, Smart-Fly and two Fromeco Relions for the radio, one 2600 for the ignition. Nothing spectacular, but completely sound and reliable.

Now I realize the Edge will probably not be out of this world ballistic and over the top extreme 3D capable. But that is not the purpose of this venture. The purpose is to have a "REALLY" big plane to pull up into a hover and just go "WOW". Plus, it has never been done before on a Hemple Edge. At least not that I am aware of.

As for the Sukhoi, I will put a few more laps on the 176 before removing it and a four cylinder will be the replacement power plant for that bird. I'd like to see a 3w 220 up front, but that darn DLE 222 is pretty impressive on my sons PAU Edge. And half the price. LOL.

So that's it. I may find this venture completely disappointing, but I just gotta give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen? A need for a bigger motor? Probably going to be a couple of months putting this together, But I am really wanting to get it done and maidened before the middle of July.

Mikeq

150cc
I may find this venture completely disappointing, but I just gotta give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen? A need for a bigger motor? Probably going to be a couple of months putting this together, But I am really wanting to get it done and maidened before the middle of July.

I bet you wont...sounds like you have it all figured out. I think BH had those big planes built to accommodate the 3w badass engines not that they necessary to fly them. Of coarse I maybe wrong and you will prove or disprove my assumption...