• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Had the difficulties you are working your way through, this is what I did to my Yak to get the engine to fit and everything to line up. You can do this several ways. If have any questions please ask.

Attachments

• B1591F5D-B16D-453D-8EEF-5580D9919150.jpeg
    B1591F5D-B16D-453D-8EEF-5580D9919150.jpeg
    745.8 KB · Views: 243
  • D22E483A-9757-4FB7-8B94-4137B4A777ED.jpeg
    D22E483A-9757-4FB7-8B94-4137B4A777ED.jpeg
    787 KB · Views: 259
  • B2C45B9B-018B-4A26-83C0-45EB3B74D51B.jpeg
    B2C45B9B-018B-4A26-83C0-45EB3B74D51B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 240
  • 3FAE4FA5-C897-4E34-BCDB-BD1EFE6B043B.jpeg
    3FAE4FA5-C897-4E34-BCDB-BD1EFE6B043B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 212
  • B7897B61-51FE-40D2-ADD9-9E6B493C6D1B.jpeg
    B7897B61-51FE-40D2-ADD9-9E6B493C6D1B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 229
  • A2FBA200-AC87-4794-A504-3ADEAAEB50C8.jpeg
    A2FBA200-AC87-4794-A504-3ADEAAEB50C8.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 238
  • BCA4BF71-8CFC-40A7-905F-9DBAF944D36C.jpeg
    BCA4BF71-8CFC-40A7-905F-9DBAF944D36C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 201

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
One question did you not buy the 3W for this plane or did you have something else in mind.
@Snoopy1,
Good question, the answer is ummmm, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . yes:laughing:. Seriously though, I did buy the engine for the Yak, all the while knowing the red head will be capable of flying any 35% airframe I'd want in the future.

Had the difficulties you are working your way through, this is what I did to my Yak to get the engine to fit and everything to line up. You can do this several ways. If have any questions please ask.
Some may not agree with me, but I have made up my mind. My Yak will fly with the DA-100. My flying Buddy told me today that he will get it set up on his test stand and run a few tanks of fuel through it if we ever get a break in the hot weather. It's like I said before, it is the engine I should have bought in the first place for ease of installation, if nothing else. Not only will it save me time by not having to work on the firewall, it will save me the time in making adjustments to the cow for the different exhaust outlet locations. I have no doubt the DA will fly the plane, not with the same authority as my 3W, but it will be fine for the way I fly.

Unfortunately, it is going to be too hot to even work on my Yak this weekend. There are still a few things I need to do while I wait for the engine, but mother nature won't cooperate with me.

Thanks for everyone's input, I really do appreciate it. . . . . . :yesss:.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
@Snoopy1,
Good question, the answer is ummmm, . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. . . . . . yes:laughing:. Seriously though, I did buy the engine for the Yak, all the while knowing the red head will be capable of flying any 35% airframe I'd want in the future.

Some may not agree with me, but I have made up my mind. My Yak will fly with the DA-100. My flying Buddy told me today that he will get it set up on his test stand and run a few tanks of fuel through it if we ever get a break in the hot weather. It's like I said before, it is the engine I should have bought in the first place for ease of installation, if nothing else. Not only will it save me time by not having to work on the firewall, it will save me the time in making adjustments to the cow for the different exhaust outlet locations. I have no doubt the DA will fly the plane, not with the same authority as my 3W, but it will be fine for the way I fly.

Unfortunately, it is going to be too hot to even work on my Yak this weekend. There are still a few things I need to do while I wait for the engine, but mother nature won't cooperate with me.

Thanks for everyone's input, I really do appreciate it. . . . . . :yesss:.

The DA 100 will serve you well brother. Super smooth, easy starting, and reliable as they come. And honestly, unless you’re Jace the Ace, no real need for crazy power.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I'll take that 3W since the DA100's are plenty.
Sorry @dhal22,
But I'll give up my MK Aurora kit and NIB Hanno before I even think about giving up my red headed beast. . . . . . ;).

Even though the staggering temps the last few weeks have kept me from the flying field, I decided to try a little work on my Yak. I got up early Sunday morning and went to the shop. I don't have A/C in my shop, but it is in the shade and I had the double doors open with a nice breeze blowing. In a matter of about a half hour, I was soaked from head to toe so I closed up shop after about an hour and a half and went back in the house. I managed to get the two elevator servos in along with both servos in the right wing. I didn't get any pictures of the wing, but I have a couple of the elevator.

Yak 28.jpg

The above picture is with the linkage that came with the plane, but I'm considering changing the pushrod to a turnbuckle for ease of making adjustments. The second picture is full elevator throw

Yak 29.jpg

I know it doesn't look like allot of throw from the angle of the picture, but it's more elevator that I'll ever need. . . . . :yesss:. We're supposed to be getting a break in the temperatures tomorrow, continuing for a couple of weeks so I am planning on getting some more work done on my Yak in the evenings this week and hopefully some more work next weekend. My flying Buddy said he will more than likely re-break-in the DA-100 this weekend as well. If that happens, I might have my Yak ready to fly in a few weeks, good Lord willing. . . . . :big_yes:.

I also just noticed when I posted the second picture that if I decide to keep the linkage, I need to move the nut to the clevis end of the shaft on this elevator. . . . :do_not_know:.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry @dhal22,
But I'll give up my MK Aurora kit and NIB Hanno before I even think about giving up my red headed beast. . . . . . ;).

Even though the staggering temps the last few weeks have kept me from the flying field, I decided to try a little work on my Yak. I got up early Sunday morning and went to the shop. I don't have A/C in my shop, but it is in the shade and I had the double doors open with a nice breeze blowing. In a matter of about a half hour, I was soaked from head to toe so I closed up shop after about an hour and a half and went back in the house. I managed to get the two elevator servos in along with both servos in the right wing. I didn't get any pictures of the wing, but I have a couple of the elevator.

View attachment 110746
The above picture is with the linkage that came with the plane, but I'm considering changing the pushrod to a turnbuckle for ease of making adjustments. The second picture is full elevator throw

View attachment 110747

I know it doesn't look like allot of throw from the angle of the picture, but it's more elevator that I'll ever need. . . . . :yesss:. We're supposed to be getting a break in the temperatures tomorrow, continuing for a couple of weeks so I am planning on getting some more work done on my Yak in the evenings this week and hopefully some more work next weekend. My flying Buddy said he will more than likely re-break-in the DA-100 this weekend as well. If that happens, I might have my Yak ready to fly in a few weeks, good Lord willing. . . . . :big_yes:.

I also just noticed when I posted the second picture that if I decide to keep the linkage, I need to move the nut to the clevis end of the shaft on this elevator. . . . :do_not_know:.
Looking at the linkage the clevis and the horn on the elevator does the pin go all the way through the horn and the clevis so that clevis pin is properly locked in on both clevis arms. Looking at I do not think the pin is fully in gaged, make sure it is. If not it will be short flight if that pin is not fully in gaged on the elevator.

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Looking at the linkage the clevis and the horn on the elevator does the pin go all the way through the horn and the clevis so that clevis pin is properly locked in on both clevis arms. Looking at I do not think the pin is fully in gaged, make sure it is. If not it will be short flight if that pin is not fully in gaged on the elevator.
Good eyes @Snoopy1. . . . . . :yesss:. As a matter of fact, the pin was not all the way in the clevis when I took those pictures, but I can assure you that the pin is all the way through and the retainer clip on the other side is locked in place. I learned my lesson with this type of clevis when I lost my Hanger 9 Miss America with a YS-91 on its maiden flight because I did not have the clevis on the clevis secured properly.

No work on the Yak this evening due to rain, but I am thoroughly enjoying the cooler temperatures. The more I look at those pictures, I am fairly sure, that is the wrong clevis for the elevator horn. I may be wrong, but I think it is supposed to be a larger black one with a larger pin and retainer. I ordered some Bling from Vern at White Rose and they should be here tomorrow or the next day. I have also decided to buy turnbuckles for the control surfaces. The straw that broke the camels back was the fact that the original owner of the plane put the four aileron servos in backwards (ie the horns are closer to the leading edge of the wing). I know it doesn't make any difference with my flying style, but it will drive me crazy until I fix it. . . . . :laughing:.
Hey @49dimes, are you still cooking down there where you are? I hope not. . . . . :big_yes:

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well Fellas,

Leave it up to me to do something just plain STUPID. . . :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:.

It was cool and sunny when I got off work so I decided I would do some work on my Yak. The only thing I managed to do is cause real damage to the right wing that is going to be a real Pain In The A__ to fix. Let me start with picture #1.

Yak 30.jpg

Yes, that is one of the aileron servos going through the edge of the wing sheeting. No big deal right? The more observant of you Fellas, like @Snoopy1, will notice it's a bit worse than it first appears because the damage doesn't stop there. Let's continue with picture #2.

Yak 31.jpg

YIKES, what stool knob took that picture? As bad as the picture is, you can see the servo didn't just go through the wing sheeting, it also went through both of the plywood servo mounting rails. As you see in the picture (maybe), the lower plywood servo rail is broken in half. In case you're wondering, it does get worse. . . . .

Yak 32.jpg

It broke the top servo mounting rail out completely. So now I have to cut the wing open to see what it's going to take to fix this mess. To say I'm unhappy is an understatement. The ironic thing is that this happened on the third aileron servo and the first two went in without any problem whatsoever. Obviously, any chance of wrapping this plane up fairly quickly and flying it just got flushed down the toilet. . . . . :frown:.