• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Bill Hempel Yak 55

WMcNabb

150cc
THE BEAST IS IN THE HOUSE ! ! ! ! ! . . . . . . :big_yes:,
I got an email from my Buddy at work this morning and he told me he got quite a bit of work done after we talked yesterday evening. He was even nice enough to send me some pictures so I could share them with you Fellas.

View attachment 110901
As you can see he had to slightly alter the holes in the bottom of the cowl to get it on around the pipes.

View attachment 110902

In this picture, you can see how far the prop hub sticks out in front of the cowl. You can see the right thrust as well.

View attachment 110903

My Buddy and I talked Sunday night about my thinking of using a prop hub instead of a spinner, so he took this picture for me. You noticed he put a 27x10 prop on the engine. At my Buddy's suggestion, I called The G Man Monday and asked him for prop recommendations for my red headed beast. Gerhard said this engine will rip any prop 28x10 or smaller. He said if I wanted speed (which I don't), he'd suggest a 28x12. If I wanted pull, he suggested a 29x10. Out of curiosity, I asked Gerhard what he'd recommend for a 3 blade prop, his reply was a 26x10. I had wanted to try the Engel props he sells so I told him I would like to order one of each that he recommended. He checked his stock and as it turns out, he didn't have the Engel 29x10 in stock, so I ordered the 26x10 3 blade from him. When I finished talking to Gerhard, I called DA and ordered a Mejzlik 29x10. Both props should be here tomorrow.

View attachment 110904
My Buddy told me he had to shorten the muffler pipes to get the cowl on. I said that was fine because I didn't want to see long pipes sticking out of the cowl.

View attachment 110905

In this picture, you can see the up thrust that was built into the firewall too.

View attachment 110906
My Buddy took this picture, as he said "for the heck of it". That is a 5" P-51 spinner. After my Buddy mentioned that he ended up not using 1/2" stand-offs to help in putting the cowl on easier, I really got to thinking. The Beast is quite a bit heavier than a DA-100. The fact that the engine is 3/4" closer to the firewall than the DA-100 helps allot too, but those Tru-Turn prop hubs are HEAVY! So I've decided to go the lite route to help balance and get a 5" carbon fiber spinner. My problem is that I want one with an aluminum backplate and I cannot remember who makes them.

Hopefully, my next update will be after we run the engine and I get it back with the fuse. I really CANNOT wait. . . . .:dancing-chicken:.

Cool seeing the red heads hiding in there!! Looks really good!!

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Good evening Fellas,

My prop order came today and the first one scared the hell out of me. . . . . :laughing:.
Yak 41.jpg

29" might as well be a yard stick. At least I won't have to lean over to flip it, which is good for my old age. . . . . . :laughing:.

Yak 42.jpg

Yak 43.jpg

The other one wasn't as bad. This is the Engel prop the G Man suggested I try. He said it has excellent pull and is very quiet. I'm going to start off with the 29x10, but I think the plane would look cooler with the 3 blade on it. I went ahead and ordered spinners today too. A white Falcon 5" CF 2 blade prop and a natural (black weave) 5" 3 blade spinner. Both are considerably lighter than a Tru Turn prop hub I was thinking about using. They should be here next week. I talked to my Buddy today too. He said we can break in the Beast on Saturday, then I can bring the fuse back home and finish putting my electronics in it.. . . . . . :brian-banana:. I'm really starting to get excited now. . . . . :yesss:.

WMcNabb

150cc
Good evening Fellas,

My prop order came today and the first one scared the hell out of me. . . . . :laughing:.View attachment 110919

29" might as well be a yard stick. At least I won't have to lean over to flip it, which is good for my old age. . . . . . :laughing:.

View attachment 110920

View attachment 110921

The other one wasn't as bad. This is the Engel prop the G Man suggested I try. He said it has excellent pull and is very quiet. I'm going to start off with the 29x10, but I think the plane would look cooler with the 3 blade on it. I went ahead and ordered spinners today too. A white Falcon 5" CF 2 blade prop and a natural (black weave) 5" 3 blade spinner. Both are considerably lighter than a Tru Turn prop hub I was thinking about using. They should be here next week. I talked to my Buddy today too. He said we can break in the Beast on Saturday, then I can bring the fuse back home and finish putting my electronics in it.. . . . . . :brian-banana:. I'm really starting to get excited now. . . . . :yesss:.
That 3-blade will look great on your Yak 55! Can’t wait to see the spinner you've paired with it.

Last edited:

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
To paraphrase a line from the movie Frankenstein. . . . . . IT'S ALIVE ! ! !. . . . . . :laughing:.

I went to my Buddy's house this morning and we broke in my red headed monster. Check out the awesome engine test rig he made.

Yak 44.jpg

Yak 45.jpg

And here's the proof of life. . . . . :big_yes:

Yak 46.jpg

Yak 47.jpg

We ran this engine for about 4 hours with different props and burned almost a gallon of gas. The first two tanks we kept it rich on both needles added about an ounce of extra oil to each tank for initial break in. After that we ran 50:1 with Bel Ray MR-1 oi.

More on the way, Fellas

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
With a successful break in of my engine, you KNOW what I had to do next. I flew home as fast as I could and got that Bad Boy bolted to the firewall for the last time, I hope. . . . . LOL.

Yak 48 .jpg

Yak 49.jpg

Yak 50.jpg

In the last picture, you can see the slight modification my Buddy made to the firewall for air movement. That should do the trick. . . . :yesss:.