• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Carden Pro 124 Build, My Dream Plane

ROLLERMAN

70cc twin V2
I use gorilla glue and vacum bag the parts. You have to have everything ready to go, not much time with the stuff before it starts setting. On large parts like the wings, I wait till there is a cooler day than normal and low humidity, I also keep the glue in the house, keeping it cool gives me a few extra minutes.

kwilson

30cc
I have heard of great results using West Systems epoxy. If you vacuum bag with it, you can lay a small piece (maybe 6" x 12") of light 1/2 oz. fiberglass cloth over the wing tube socket area to help spread that load over a larger portion of the wing skin resulting in a very strong wing with minimal weight gain.

jtec/radiowave

70cc twin V2
I use gorilla glue and vacum bag the parts. You have to have everything ready to go, not much time with the stuff before it starts setting. On large parts like the wings, I wait till there is a cooler day than normal and low humidity, I also keep the glue in the house, keeping it cool gives me a few extra minutes.

We just did two sets of wings using gorilla glue, We lay carbon tow over the foam. Tried something a little different this time. While Kevin was prepping the wing skins I ran a bead of gorilla glue down the carbon tow then I took a squeegee and ran the glue into the tow. It penetrated the tow so it has good adhesion to the foam and sheeting. We laid the wing skins over the foam put it back in the shuck and bagged the wings.

We just did some testing with gorilla glue and epoxy ( west systems) I wanted to see how each bonded using carbon tow and another material which one of the guys have tried and that was the fiberglass tape they use in sheet rocking homes. The great thing with the tape is its self bonding when you lay it down. This was just a bonding test, no vacuum or weight, straight out gluing to a bare piece of foam block. No water on the gorilla glue.

Anyhow we tested both materials. We did a pull test using both materials and both glues; On the carbon tow both the gorilla glue and epoxy bonded well but when we pulled on the tow more beads of foam came up with the gorilla glue than the west systems. The epoxy did pull beads of foam but not as much as the gorilla glue. I would still be happy with epoxy.

On the fiberglass tape did not bond as well using epoxy. when we pulled it off the tape was still very flexible, With the gorilla glue it bonded slightly better and the gorilla glue expanded into the weave more making it stiffer. Using the tape did not bond as well as the carbon tow for either glue.

This was just a test to make us feel better and choose a bonding method. I think either glue is a good choice. I think the advantage of epoxy is it give you greater working time.

Al

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
We just did two sets of wings using gorilla glue, We lay carbon tow over the foam. Tried something a little different this time. While Kevin was prepping the wing skins I ran a bead of gorilla glue down the carbon tow then I took a squeegee and ran the glue into the tow. It penetrated the tow so it has good adhesion to the foam and sheeting. We laid the wing skins over the foam put it back in the shuck and bagged the wings.

We just did some testing with gorilla glue and epoxy ( west systems) I wanted to see how each bonded using carbon tow and another material which one of the guys have tried and that was the fiberglass tape they use in sheet rocking homes. The great thing with the tape is its self bonding when you lay it down. This was just a bonding test, no vacuum or weight, straight out gluing to a bare piece of foam block. No water on the gorilla glue.

Anyhow we tested both materials. We did a pull test using both materials and both glues; On the carbon tow both the gorilla glue and epoxy bonded well but when we pulled on the tow more beads of foam came up with the gorilla glue than the west systems. The epoxy did pull beads of foam but not as much as the gorilla glue. I would still be happy with epoxy.

On the fiberglass tape did not bond as well using epoxy. when we pulled it off the tape was still very flexible, With the gorilla glue it bonded slightly better and the gorilla glue expanded into the weave more making it stiffer. Using the tape did not bond as well as the carbon tow for either glue.

This was just a test to make us feel better and choose a bonding method. I think either glue is a good choice. I think the advantage of epoxy is it give you greater working time.

Al
The epoxy, as seen in Terry's testing which I think is in the bagging thread posted above, also shows how the epoxy penetrates the foam and wood under a vacuum. He used some dye on some test panels and it was amazing how far it went. As for working time there are different hardeners to control the speed. The big plus in my mind for the epoxy and bag method is the fact that you can just tape the sheeting together instead of all the edge gluing and sanding that I've always hated. I'm anxious to try some.