• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Cbarnes 3D Slab Thread

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

First you cut a whole bunch of balsa sheet stock into the appropriate size sticks you need to start your scratch build.
image.jpeg

Then you start paying them out in the shape of a fuse.
image.jpeg

Before you know it you have two fuses done since your building them for two different people.
image.jpeg

Then you build a rudder
image.jpeg

Then you realize while you have all the stuff laid out you might as well build three of them.
That's all for now.

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

Build another fuse to make the total three.

image.jpeg

Build another rudder
image.jpeg

Before you know it you have 3 fuses, stabs, elevators, rudders, and motor mounts.
image.jpeg

Lay a fuse and rudder over some clean butcher paper to get nice tracings of so you have a decent set of plans to build off of.
image.jpeg

Yup you guessed it, fire that bandsaw back up to make all the 5/16" LE and TE sticks. Enough to build three now.
image.jpeg

Lay out the ribs and all the sticks and hit all the joints with thin ca.
image.jpeg

Sheet the top of the wing and get ready to flip it over. Once flipped I will get some detailed pictures of the main spar as its a modified design that makes it super strong. The prototype only has shear webs in the first two bays and it has been cash dropped, walled, and cart wheeled more times than I can count and still holding strong.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
@cbarnes0061 wonder I f you could help. Have a AW - prox-260. I know that you are not impressed with the plane. Would like build a new wing for it if you could suggest a profile for the root and the tip to improve the planes performance and the size of the alerons. And what wing loading you strive for. Thanks for the help.

BalsaDust

Ok sorry if I misled you. I have never flown the AW plane so I do not know how it flys I have just heard bad things about it from the probro site. Guess the biggest thing is the type of flying your looking for when it comes to WCL. I like a nice floaty plane but at the same time I have one slab that has a higher WCL that freaking kicks ass. What helps it though is its still light wieght so while it may not be floaty its stable in high alpha which is important. I will post more in a bit. Out with the wife right now.