• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Cbarnes 3D Slab Thread

BalsaDust

Hey Chris, You're BRAVE man. . . . . . . :laughing: BTW, where did you find the brass bar stock you cut up and are using for building weights?

Thanks,
David

Found brass at work. Thought it was steel when we where cutting it and was told I could have it. By the time we realized it was too late lol.

BalsaDust

image.png

Ok so to better answer your question. These are the specs on the profile you see in my avatar. Look elsewhere in this thread for more pics and it is the one I'm building three more of currently. It's WCL is actually a littler over 6 as the plane came in around 36-37 ounces over the 33 I have in there. This in my opinion is a good blend of slab and fattie performance. Your normal slab comes in in the low 4's where I think most fatties these days come in in the 8-9 range don't hold me to that last part.

My take on it if you want it to be low and slow shoot for the lower number. My plane at 6 does HA stuff great but carries a little speed to do it where as say my mojo 40 will slow to a crawl. Biggest thing I can say about it though is how they do other maneuvers. The one I'm flying will wind up super tight in maneuvers and continue to carry the energy through like a fattie. The mojo 40 I have on the other hand will wind up tight but won't carry energy because it's so light and has so much wing area. Best example for it is with the mojo it is pretty much impossible to get it to do a poptop. They will start to do them but slow down and loose energy so fast it won't complete it.

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

One wing is done so onto the second one. This wing is super easy to build straight. The front build tab of each rib get butted up to a straight edge then use a piece of angle to the the TE straight.
image.jpeg

Start gluing in some sticks.
image.jpeg

Main spar details. Glue in the bottom 1/4x1/8 first. Then lay down a piece of carbon fiber tow and tack it with thin ca at each rib. Then lay down a bead of medium ca and place top half of the spar in.
image.jpeg

Sheet the top half flip and repeat.
image.jpeg

That wing is done so lay out the third wing and get a pic of them all together.

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

Tapes some aluminum straight edges along the LE and TE of the ailerons. This ensures all six ailerons will be built identical.
image.jpeg

Here are all three framed up and ready to be sanded. Weights as they sit now.

#1 is 10.8 ounces
#1 is 10.7 ounces
#3 is 10.3 ounces

BalsaDust

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

So it's been a while since I updated this thread so here area bunch of pics of things I have been working on. The plans are for a 44" edge profile that I have built four of now. Great flying plane. I have the plans scanned and are in PDF form now. They are available to anyone interested. Jsut shoot me a pm with your email and I will send them that way.